Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cases/raincoat

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    This is prolly just for the urban amongst us -
    I hadda gig a coupla weeks ago that didn't pay enough to do the zipcar thing, but was in the city so that didn't matter so much. On a Saturday night, jazz casual, had to wear a suit. And it was pouring cats and dogs ALL FREAKING DAY, so I went out and bought a rain suit. And stayed perfectly dry, it was great.

But my bass, or more specifically my case, got soaked. The case (a Messina) is Cordura which is, of course, water resistant. But the steady, heavy, soaking rain makes the bag a lot heavier and ,what with the zipper and seams etc. the integrity of the bag vis a vis water is not entirely without reproach.

So, I goes to myself, I says, does anybody make a rain suit for a bass? Kind of like a nylon bag to go OVER your bag, snaps, sealed seams etc. So that your bag doesn't get soaked through and through if'n you have to go out and gig in a nor'easter?

I checked Lemur....

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    There's a guy that plays early at Aurturo's on Monday that had a friend make him one for about $60. I'm next in line if I can get a hold of the maker. It's just a lightweight bag that slips over your regular bag. It's made out of some kind of camping material. I'll pass along the number if I ever get it.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    As a backpacker, there are plenty types of nylon as a cheap waterproof material. I'm sure you could get one made quite easily, just make sure you get the right type of nylon that has a tight weave.

5. You could also consider "waterproofing" spray made for tents, backpacks. While it won't render the bag completely waterproof, especially during a downpour, it would certainly help shed water during brief showers or exposure.
    For example.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I tried that with mine and all that it did is leave a powdery mess on my bass -- and still does two years later!

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    This might be a weird approach to it, but i might ask my grandma about this idea. I don't know if you guys have a Menards-think discount hardware store if you don't, they sell these really big tarps for cheap. My grandma is awesome at making things out of fabric e.g. when my mom was little she used to make them clothes, blankets, etc. I'm wondering if she would be able to make a case like what you guys are referring to. E.g. take some measurements from my cleveland's case and enlarge a bit [a few inches maybe] to allow an easier fit. Then again-i have no clue how that would turn out.

The tarps are cheap-around i think $10-20 for the big ones.

Would a nylon tarp be a high enough quality of material? I'm wondering how hard it would be to work with and if it would rip easily.

The idea of a rain case would be nice-reminds me of what the Incase [i think that's the brand] brand of BG gig bags-they have a nylon shell/sheath that you can place over the case to make it more water resistant.

That's all

8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    ...uh, actually no Ed...this'd definitely apply to some of us in the boonies as well. Especially considering that a big percentage of my gigs are outdoors. I'll be watching this thread to see what develops.

This might be the "big idea" for somebody...

9. The stuff went through the bag? I have used it on other items--tent seams, leather and cordura boots, etc. and haven't noticed any bleed-through. Was it a particular brand or formulation you used?

10. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I'm emailing Sam about this as we speak. :)

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Dunno -- the spray that I used I got at a shoe store, I believe. Didn't do squat to waterproof the bag.

John -- the most important feature of a raincoat (after the waterproof bit) is that you can fold it up and put it in a pocket in the bass bag when not in use. You might pass that on to Sam while you're at it.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Under $60 would be nice, portable/foldable is the ticket. I'd buy one.

SMACKCHILDREN - no offense meant. From what I can remember about gigging before NYC (which was, after all, before breakfast) was that I could drive right up to the door of wherever I was gigging, so my time in the elements was very limited and I didn't have to worry about the bag getting soaked. No matter HOW heavy the rain (the rain in Augusta falling mainly on the plane...).
    Here, I have a 6 block walk to the train from my apartment plus whatever the distance is at the other end.

13. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I waterproofed my bag with a waterproofer that was designed for camping equipment - tents, etc. Got it at KMart. It worked well, however, my bag is more of a nylon vs. cordura. Also, while it slowed water down, it didn't bead up like on a waterproof jakcet or such. The fabric on my bag is a broader weave than something like a jacket shell, so it would probably take several coats of waterproofer. No powder or other residue, though.

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    On a tangent Ed, you say you lug the bass on the train ... do you not play through an amp? Or do you take the bass, charts, amp and all on one trip on the train. Cause I don't know about NYC trains, but them SF trains get crowded all day, any time, and I would figure NYC ones to be worse.

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    NYC ain't no place for sissies!

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You've never been to West Village?

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Most of the time, I don't play with an amp. There are a couple of clubs that have enough of a house system that instead of using an amp, I can get the sound I want using my mic (see the KAVEHAZ fotos). If I have to use an amp, i carry it on a cart. But I have yet to have a gig that I needed to carry an amp to this year (so far).

You don't take the train at rush, I have a stand that fits in my bow pocket, I have a wheel, I have started a causal chain that will result in me having a rainsuit for my bass. I dunno, it may be one of those things I don't think about since I been up here a long time. Although, in comparison to Boston or DC, (the only other US mass transit subways I been on), trains have more cars and come more often.

18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    John, any updates? Interest at the highest corporate levels?

19. Have you thought about using a large trash bag? They make a "lawn & leaf" size - I'm not sure if it would fit completely, but it might be enough to cover the neck and upper-bouts. I've noticed that when I've been caught carrying my bass in the rain, the wettest bit is usually the upper half ('cos it's sticking up in the air, I expect). For the number of times it would get used, a (very) large trash bag might be the simple answer - but the rain-suit idea is very cool…

- Wil

PS - added bonus, carrying the bass in a trash-bag might make it less attractive to any would-be thief…

20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    The trash bag and tape works great getting to the gig, cause I got all that stuff at home. Getting out of the gig is always the challenge because they generally DON'T have all that stuff there.

Plus you gotta tear holes for the handles etc etc. It'd be nice to have that dealt with for real.