1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Cash 4 Gas Sale: Matsumoku Vantage Avenger Precision Style MIJ High Res Pics!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rogerbmiller, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    My GAS won't end. Does it ever end?! :rollno:

For sale is one of my Vantage Avenger basses wiht original hard case. Made at the Matsumoku factory in Japan. This is a 1981 in the red stain and in pretty good condition.

This is a very beautiful precision style bass. For those not familiar, I like to give a little background as these basses occupy a fond place in my formative years. You see, these basses were mass marketed during Fender's "Dark Years" (also know as the early 80’s) when many (dare I say most?!) people associated Fender with poor quality control and an "antiquated" mass-marketed design. I remember it seemed that all Fender owners did in those days was replace parts-- pickups first, then pots, then bridges, etc. I remember my first teacher so well- he had a Fender P bass with almost every single part replaced!

This bass puts a different spin on the P bass. Similar tone but more "boutique" sounding due to the high quality woods and finish, and of course with the classical looks and panache that come with! The factory precision style pickups in this bass were modeled after DiMarzios which were the premium and preferred pickup of choice in those days and what most Fender players were swapping for.

This bass is in some ways a Gibson SG/Fender P Hybrid looks-wise and design-wise with perhaps a little bit of a metal or glam flair thrown in. Note the flat edges but elegant belly cuts that make their way into the top. A stark contrast which results in a nice, almost sculpted design. This has a brass funder style barrel saddles bridge and a brass nut. And a great neck-- maple board and a nice deep profile reminiscent of the Aria Pro II Superbass that was also made in the Matsumoku Factory.

The DiMarzio-inspired precision pickup is wound hot! 10-12K in my estimation. Put flats on this (as I have on some of my other Vantages) and it just thumps! Bass is full 34" scale. Very easy to play!

I just checked the set up, polished the frets and restrung the bass with a brand new set of rounds so she will be good to gout right out of the box!

This bass is in good condition overall. Since I like full disclosure the following is a list of the imperfections, mostly minor. There are some dings and scrapes, as well as some light rash on the back. All are pictured and none are very visible given the combination of the heavy varnish, the wood stain, and the graininess of the wood itself. A little grime at the edge of the neck which should come out with polish and what appears to be a slight finish imperfection from a light ding near fret 4 as pictured. The E string tuner is bent slightly butt fully functional and you cannot see in the pics or notice except when stringing the bass. Very slight oxidation on the pickup pole pieces. Again, overall condition is great and as the pics show, the bass presents very nicely and I took flash pics to make sure these slight blems appeared easily for the purpose of this listing.

I am asking $SOLD! shipped anywhere in the CONUS in the original hard case. If you are outside the CONUS the price will be higher as shipping is considerably higher so PM me to see what we can work out. And I pack bomb proof so she will get to you safe and sound.

I am not 95% not interested in trades at this point as this sale is to finance more recent GAS-related purchases, but PM me if you plan to make an offer I can't refuse.

I think this just about covers everything. Please PM me if you have any interest, questions or would like to make a best offer.

Thanks for looking. Enjoy the high res pics below. :bassist:

RBM

DSC_0035.
    DSC_0036.
    DSC_0037.
    DSC_0038.
    DSC_0039.
    DSC_0040.
    DSC_0041.
    DSC_0042.
    DSC_0043.
    DSC_0044.
    DSC_0045.
    DSC_0046.
    DSC_0047.
    DSC_0048.

2. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Any Matsumoku Fender P-bass killer bass love out there?

Also, check out my Tokai Jazz listing. Need cash for GAS!

3. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    So many tasty Japanese basses on here lately and priced right as well - I've snagged 2 in the last few weeks and there are at least 3 more on here I want. Good luck with this one, I hope some of these are still around in the next month or so, cuz I'll have a few more.

Bump

4. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    NEWS FLASH- THIS BASS COMES WITH THE OHSC! :hyper:

Embarrassed to say I had stored the hard case in an office closet and almost forgot about it. Had the bass in a gig bag to make it easier to schlep around.

So this bass is now for sale with OHSC. Officially a closet classic now!

5. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Is there love for a Japanese closet classic in OHSC that out thumps most other P basses?

6. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    hmmm ... tasty and affordable ... PM incoming ...

7. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    SOLD! Thanks folks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.