1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cashmere

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Mar 12, 2009.

1. I know that these things are supposed to be dry-cleaned, but thanks to the economic crisis, I can no longer afford to pay other people to half-clean my clothes. If I use water to wash it, would the clothes be completely destroyed?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I've wondered the same thing about a couple of suits and sportcoats that I own.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bump

have you checked the home drycleaning thingy that you use your dryer with??

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Drycleaning cashmere will actually shorten it's life. The fabric is so delicate, few professional cleaners know how to properly clean cashmere. I would only take my cashmere items to a pro cleaner if I got a stain in one.

Try using baby shampoo or some detergent meant for delicate fabric, but I bet it is spendy. Also......NEVER hang dry cashmere or wool.

-Mike

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you are such a girl.

7. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    you remember that time we rode some dude out of tb for asking how to take care of his clothes? this isn't going to be like that again is it? :ninja:

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Dressed sharply, thank you.

:D

-Mike

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D LOL

10. embellisher

Yeah, I almost bought some of that stuff in December, then I read up on it and the consensus is it doesn't really work. Most people said that it is OK to 'freshen' your clothes between trips to the dry cleaners, but wouldn't clean anything.

We have one cleaners in this small town, they do not do a very good job, and they are expensive. $2.20 to launder and press a shirt, $8.50 to dry clean and press a 2 piece suit.

11. i would suggest that the next time you are painting your toe nails, you should ask yourself ... "what would britney spears do?"

lol .. j/k .. mostly :smug:

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Make sure they don't shrink.

:D

13. Hahaha, I still don't know how to clean it... other than to take it to a professional cleaning place.

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Soak in cold water, then place under a heating lamp for 10-12 hours. If smoking should ensue allow flames to distinguish themselves*

*I am by no means a professional cleaner, nor should this advice be heeded by anyone who wishes to continue wearing said cashmere clothing.

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Guys wear cashmere? :eyebrow:

16. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    Somebody is going to lose his man card over this thread.

17. embellisher

Just my drawers.

18. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I hate to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how to shrink a cashmere shirt. I just ordered 4 XL shirts made of this fabric, and I'm an M at best. Any thoughts?

19. embellisher

Just buy the right size, n00bie!!!:spit: