Casing an Ashdown ABM 500 Rc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SonnyBassPlayer, Mar 31, 2017.

1. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    Good day fellows,

I am dismantling my brain as to how I can fit a used Abm RC (chrome face) in a tolex case.

My problems are the lack of wooden cases available in Italy for decent prices, and the hate towards plastic flightcases... I think they simply look bad.

I found this Abm at about 300$, so I didn't want to spend over 75$ for a case. All I found is Customcases, but a product shipped to Italy would cost around 220€, almost as much as the amp.
    Than I noticed old model Hartke HA heads like this
    hartke-ha5500-42578.jpg
    and I thought I could make this
    ashdown-abm-500-rc-evo-ii-head.jpg
    Fit inside its case (obviously taking off the large Hartke logo).

I wouldn't mind buying both used (less than 500€ for both) and reselling the naked Hartke afterwards, but I see that most RCs have fixed ears unilike in the picture: of course the one I found used has them like this one
    ashdown-abm-500-rc-evo-ii-head-943507.jpg

Will it fit the Hartke case?

If not, do you have any suggestion for someone who woukd just like a chrome ABM to sit in a wooden case?

I sadly have no tools or room to build one.

I know it just sounds stupid but I have a bit of OCD.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. floydman

floydman

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    I just picked up a used abm
    I wanted a compact case to protect it in travel without adding to much bulk, otherwise I will likely end up reaching for my mark bass instead.
    I built this very simple wooden case
    My goal was to have no parts other than wood e.g. spring loaded handles, cab corners...just keep it simple, cheap, light and no parts to rattle or snag
    Any woodshop would probably happily throw together something similar for a very reasonable amount
    The inner dimensions are 19 1/16", 3 3/4"
    The amp is screwed to wood blocks
    I bought plastic to add to the bottom as a skid protector
    I put oil finish on the wood. May paint it black to blend in better, or just leave it

Best of all it is lightweight, definitely saving a few pounds from my old OEM ABM 500 in the tolex and baby blue front
    IMG_20170331_220752785.jpg

Attached Files:

SonnyBassPlayer likes this.
  3. floydman

floydman

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    and damn does the amp sound good! Definitely worth its weight

gillento likes this.
  4. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    Posting to eventually help others in the same situation!
    First of all thanks @floydman for posting your amp!
    I ended up noticing the rack ears of the Abm are fixed, so it would not fit the Hartke case. I kept on searching until I found this, the cheapest finished wooden case for a 2U rack :
    Screenshot_2017-04-23-10-30-39.png

I got it in a few days, its cheap and it's clear, but it does its job of protecting an amp during transport.

But it was too long
    Screenshot_2017-04-23-10-36-25.png

I took it to rehersal once and it was quite uncomfortable.
    So I took my cheap ass tools, a lent hacksaw and did this
    DSC_0894.JPG

Overall I worked 5 hours to peel the fur off, cut, reattach the fur, drill all new holes, changed old feet with my dead MAG ones and put the cases' ones on the side.

It now looks like this
    DSC_0898.JPG

Damn this amp sounds good. Totally worth its weight!

DSC_0901.JPG

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    floydman likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022