Cass from Skunk Anansie

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by plasson, Nov 14, 2005.

1. plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Hallo there,
    does enybody know which effects were Cass using with Skunk Anansie?
    Especially in Charlie Big Potato from Post Orgasmic Chill... GREAT synth sound...
  2. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've been looking for a picture of his board for ages.

From what I recall some NOT ALL of his effects were Digitech Bass Whammy, Danelectro Cool Cat 18v Version, EHX Bassballs USA and thats about it but he did have a good 8 or so pedals when I saw it in an interview in Bassist a couple of years ago.
  3. plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    What is a Cool Cat? 0.o
    The synth tone in Charlie Big Potato is just GREAT!
  4. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Danelectro Cool Cat chorus pedal. Won't be whats giving him that sound though but it is an ace pedal.

Something like the digitech bass synth wah would probably cop that tone a great pedal IMHO and I still don't knwo why I haven't bought it yet.
  5. plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    uhm... I've had the DigiTech BSW, and I really don't think it can give you that sound... That tone (in Charlie Big Potato) is too... too... sofisticated!

Anyway... are you sure he's got a Bass Whammy? Where does he use it? :confused:
  6. plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I've just downloaded a live video of CBP and... the intro is not a bass...
  7. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I've heard, though I can't be certain, that he uses (or used) a vintage colorsound tone bender fuzz.
  8. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    +1 not a bass, not a bass, not bass. I can get sounds like that using a midi keyboard and cubase/reason...

But if you really want to use a bass- and let's face it who doesn't- the only pedal I can think of, that might get you close is a Korg g5 (File under "rocking horse poo- rare as") using an expression pedal to control the filter.
    Alternatively try going synth/Octaver/Wah- or octave/fuzz/wah. Oh ...and be prepared to become a sound engineer's nightmare.
    I'm sure other people can think of different set ups you could use.
  9. plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I've been trying with my Akai Deep Impact with an Overdrive AFTER it... sounds good, but not similar...
  10. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I know he used a Sansamp and Big Muff.

And he used 2 rigs, 1 clean and 1 dirty.
  11. möbius

Apr 16, 2008
  12. plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    hmmmm interesting... any AU solution? :D
  13. crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    i just found the article in Bassist from just after POC was released.
    He says: - "I'm using coloursound pedals now. I've still got the Sovtek Big Muff distortion pedal, plus a coloursound fuzz and Tone Bender. When you put the Tone Bender in front of the fuzz you get a really deep, strong overdriven sound. I've got one of those old EHX Bassballs pedals- it's ok, but i find it a little thin sometimes so i'm looking at doctoring it a bit. And i've still giot my cool Korg G5 analogue synthesizers (as used on 'twisted') that i think are brilliant"
    the article also mentions that he was using eden world tour 800 amps ( one clean, one dirty) with eden 8x10 ,and also adding a warwick 900 head in the dirty rig
    that's all the info i can see here.
    hope it helps!