1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cassette Tapes Are Back, Don't You Dare Call Them Obsolete

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dtripoli, Nov 13, 2018.

1. “Your ears are analog. The natural world is analog,” says Stepp. “The reason people like cassette tapes and vinyl is that they reproduce actual, analog sound, with all the harmonics and frequencies your ears are built to listen to.”
    Article addressing analog

Not a controversial subject, just interesting.....

2. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Banned

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    and max hiss is bonus:atoz:

3. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Just a few months ago, I inherited a very high quality cassette deck from a deceased audiophile so I used it as an excuse to dig out a box of old cassette tapes to listen to.

They sound terrible. Absolutely awful sound quality plus the tape hiss and other noise.

Not to mention the inconvenience. Digital music files can be instantly accessed at any point and they're marked for easy recognition and identification of content. Tapes are just a pain in the butt.

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    My mini cassette recorder keeps chewing up my tape collection....classic albums....i'm scared to use it

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    "Your Cassettes Are Obsolete"

486371-soldier_mq_290cd-e1389992959697.

hehe hehe hehe

JimK, Rich Fiscus and Gorn like this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I love that movie.

bholder likes this.
  7. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    i hated cassettes with a passion when they were the only means of buying music (the only one that was available to me, at the time).

anyway last year my band released a single on cassette so eh, what can you do? :p

in the UK at least, they seem to be being used mainly for experimental, avante garde type releases. which is fine.

mind you, anyone who claims they "just sound better" as a format has completely lost touch with reality.

with vinyl making a comeback too, could it be that humans just don't like things to be perfect?

Mr_Moo, Oddly and MonetBass like this.
  8. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    "Soldiers deserve Soldiers, Sir". :thumbsup:

Gorn likes this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    **** yeah! "I'm going to kill them all sir."

Also, cassettes. When I was first buying my own music there were cassettes and CDs. I can't really remember but I think CDs were a lot more expensive. No one at the time was touting the benefits of the analog sound of tapes.

10. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    maxell-ad.

TinIndian, 928cat, wesonbass and 5 others like this.
  11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    CDs absolutely were a lot more expensive than cassettes at the time, and LPs were disappearing. Thus I made the terrible decision to rebel against those high prices and buy only cassettes for several years before finally moving to CDs. Of course those tapes were later worthless and I ended up tossing out virtually all of them.

JimK, petrus61 and knumbskull like this.
  12. I do miss the convenience of recording vinyl onto tape with the old stereo I used to own, but I don't miss much else about tapes. I especially do not miss recording onto a cassette 4-track, and I very especially do not miss the result of that recording.

Mvilmany, GregC and JRA like this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i used to own a cassette duplication outfit --- in business until the late 90's: i miss the fun we had making that company go, and prosper, but:

as an audiophile: i don't miss the downsides (already mentioned and alluded to in the article). it's a matter of taste, of course, but stepp has enough skin in the game to warrant the bias ( :laugh: ) he's promoting.

i still have archived content on cassette and several high-quality playback machines, but digital is better! even the 'grainier' MP3's are superior. YMMV.

14. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Let's not forget the squeal when the tape starts to stretch, plus the loss of high frequency response when it becomes demagnetized. :sour::confused:o_O

catcauphonic and rendevouz like this.
  15. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    28B752E8-B690-45AE-83D3-013CFD00BFC2.

Now MiniDiscs are another thing altogether. Many of the better features of cassette recorders and much better quality. Still useful to me.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    superheavyfunk and knumbskull like this.
  16. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    The worst of every recording technique. Low sound quality from low tape speed. Short life span. Couldn't even splice and tape them for experiments (well, you could... but life is really too short for that kind of nonsense). Couldn't leave them in a hot car (same thing with LP, and CD).
    Embracing past technologies and claiming them superior is a short step away from a conspiracy theory.

fhm555, JimK and Stewie26 like this.
  17. That could very well be.... Also, why on earth do people restore and drive old automobiles, muscle cars, motorcycles, etc??? All of that antiquated machinery, why would anyone want that? The more modern stuff is so much better...

Some people (like me) just like the old ways of doing things. Sometimes.

Mr_Moo, tpa, Tom Bomb and 1 other person like this.
  18. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I actually paid $2.99 just to watch the rest of that movie from that point on to the end this past weekend. :D

On cassettes - I lived through the "before, during, and after" of their heyday, and I have to say, we all pretty much knew all along that the sound quality was comparatively poopie. Yeah, you could spend extra for better-sounding cassettes, but even the good stuff sounded like crap after a couple of plays compared to vinyl. Of course, one had to be fanatical about keeping one's vinyl clean, too... ahhh, the old days...

19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    *cough* vintage reissue guitars *cough*

20. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Oh boy!! I can hardly wait!!!!

77092411-twisted-audio-tape-and-audio-cassette.

Mr_Moo, lfmn16, bassbully and 6 others like this.