1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Castellanos Wal MKII “Tribute” - Refinished

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brian Crosby, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Hey everyone. Got this off Reverb a couple months ago, and ran into some major setup issues right off the bat: The nut was cut all wonky, high action, buzzing on the 6th and 7th frets...it was a nightmare. I was able to shim the neck pocket which helped a LOT with the action. The 2 problematic frets were replaced, which eliminated the buzz. The nut was thrown out and completely remade out of bone. The entire body, which was covered in a black poly, was stripped and finished with Danish oil. This bass plays SO well now. The Wal-like filter preamp (ACG EQ-01) and custom pickups sound very, very close to a real Wal. If anyone would like sound clips, I’ll be happy to post them. I might sell this bass eventually, once I get enough saved up for a real Wal. Otherwise, this is as close as it gets!

Attached Files:

2. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Weird - a Wal copy? Interesting. Nice recovery on it!

3. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    As a bonus your Wal copy has a tilted headstock with no need for string retainers. I'm impressed. Here are pics I saved from a Wal copy that was available at Bass Northwest back in the day. Built by a fellow named Helms. I almost pulled the trigger. As I recall it was over my weight limit. And I was conflicted over the issue of buying a copy of a well-known boutique bass. Pics by Bass Northwest.

Edit: Forgive me for not mentioning that the OP's bass is a great looking instrument.

Helms - Wal copy 1.jpg Helms - Wal copy 2.jpg

Helms - Wal copy 3.jpg Helms - Wal copy 4.jpg

Helms - Wal copy 5.jpg Helms - Wal copy 6.jpg

Helms - Wal copy 7.jpg

M. M.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    TN WOODMAN, XtraFancy and tindrum like this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021