Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Casters --- leave 'em on during the gig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeorgiaHonk, Jun 3, 2004.

1. On

51 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Off

17 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. When you're onstage, which is it: leave 'em on or take 'em off?

2. I always leave them on the bottom cab (if I'm using a 2 cab setup) but take them off the top cab.

Then again, I'm doing the original rock, 3 bands a night thing.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I know a cab sitting on the floor is always perceived as louder due to coupling or some other phenomenon I don't understand. I wonder if a few inches off the floor cancels some of this out..??

4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    It all depends on the venue. If you want more boom take the casters off. Also you've got to find out how much boom you'll get from the stage and this will vary from place to place.Some enclosed stages may help to produce more boom than you may want. In those cases you may want to leave them on. I guess it comes down to what you need depending on your equipment and style too.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Everytime I take the casters off on a hollow stage, the guitar player on the other side starts bitchin that I'm too loud or have too much low end. Not worth the hassle to me, I need to keep him shut up as much as possible for my own sanity. :spit:

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Half ON & Half OFF

:rolleyes: Leave the Front Casters On - Leave the Back Casters Off :rolleyes:

Good Contact
    Nice Angle
    Good Projection

Works with every type of Stage, hollow or solid or whatever.
    Everywhere, everytime.

7. I don't have any casters on my cabs....... so its off.

8. i have a avatar 2x12 and as most of you know already the wees dont just simply pop off you have to un screw them, and there are 4 screws in each weel. i think i am going to try and build a little platform with 4 weels (casters) on it, and i can just push it around on that, and then when i get to the gig i cna just take the amp of the platform and i will be louder and have more bottom.

9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

thats how i set up my Bergie HT310 . great projection for stage monitoring , still gets all the punch without too much boominess on hollow floor stages ...
    :bassist:

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Thou must invest in pop-out casters, me thinks . . .

11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    wouldn't the top cab fall off?

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Usually I'll leave them on. If I'm using both of my Mesa cabs, they're side by side. If I wanted to stack them, I'd probably just turn the top one sideways or upside down to make it easier to handle. None of my SWR cabs have casters, so it's not really an option there. That half-on-half-off idea intrigues me, though.

13. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    I agree with the rear-off, front-on crowd for almost every venue. The only time they all come off is when my Bam210 is sitting on top of an 18.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I leave them on. At bass frequencies and up into the mids, a couple inches closer to the floor isn't going to provide any improvement.

15. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    On my SWR Goliath II, I ended up using a set of screw-on casters, because I didn't want to do the surgery required on the cab of adding the pop-outs. This is a rear ported cab and it would have required removing the bottom speakers to keep track of the sawdust from drilling and get it all out.

When I got the cab, I used it without casters and noticed there would sometimes be a phase cancelled note or two when playing in a building with a basement below the band area. It's been cleaner with the casters on, and of course, much easier to move.

I tried the dolly board idea, but it was a problem keeping the cab on and steady when it hit bumps.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As Bob Lee said, casters have little if any effect on tone.

I usually run a stack, so I take 'em off for greater stability: larger footprint, no rolling around. Also, my bands often play clubs where there's no stage, and I don't want dancing drunks accidentally rolling my amp stack into the wall.

17. In most of if not all of my experiences, taking the casters off created a very boomy addition to my tone and as Eric said the players on the other side of stage get killed with BOOM. I didn't see any improvement except the "stability part" is often just as important. Off, I do see a very present difference on a hollow stage. On, the couple of inch lift almost totally eliminated the boom and seemingly uncontrollable bass response. Off, I had to cut the bass tone way back which affected the front of the house tone. I know there are other ways around it, but... My cure for casterless cabs was the Auralex Gramma Pad (never leave home without it) although it actually makes my vintage cab (Berg NV610) sound funky so I don't use it with that one. The NV610 sits just like it is, on it's casters and legs. That cab is plenty tall enough so it does not need to be tilted back (of course I'm 5'6") :rollno:

Further the NV is a sealed cab which I think is the main difference why it sounds just perfect like it is. My small casterless Bergies Ht/Ex 112 sound magnificent on the Gramma Pad - Always. :D

18. jbass67

jbass67

Nov 17, 2003
    i have an avatar b212 that has permanent casters mounted
    on the side so all i do is tip it over to the upright position.
    the casters also double as hangers for extra cables, clothing,
    etc.

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Man, you must have huge casters, if taking them off made so much additional boom!

20. Why thank you Doctor Bob!

I think it must be the coupling of the cab to the top of the box stage is what made the big diff. In fact I had that happen to me in this club where there is a banquet room below too. The horn guys complained right away about the "boom", and as soon as I put the caster back on (my old sold Mesa cabs) they were blowing happy notes again.

That is why I like the Gramma so much. The coupling thing has never served me too well.

Didn't mean to dispute your statements, that's just some real live experiences, but what do I know :rollno: