1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

caster's = less oomph...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spiffer07, Apr 3, 2009.

1. spiffer07

spiffer07

Mar 12, 2007
    Is this true at all? I've an Ampeg ba hpt 220 watt combo_Our drummer is LOUD. I hesitate to pop the casters in and have been gigging for a month with this 82 Pd. amp. Am I stupid for not using them? I'm running volumes on the amp at 5-7 already and don't wanna lose anything adding casters IF theres any truth to this. thank-you

2. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Put it on the floor where it's meant to be. More bottom. End of story.

Cheers,
    Cameron

3. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Depends on the room. I found that having my cab on casters gives me more control of the bottom end, keeping it from getting "boomy". If you're worried about cutting through in a rehearsal, you should be worried about your low-mids and mids (300-750 kHz), not any bass and sub-bass generated from the mechanical coupling of the cab to the floor.

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Olde Skool "rule of thumb" is that you want to have a bass cab "locked" to the floor for best bass results; I think that has been proven to be bunk - but for you, the best way to find is play a set with casters, then without.

Another thought: You are trying to keep up with a LOUD drummer with a bass combo amp? I can't speak for your particular rig, but a 1x15 amp will be hard pressed to keep up with a guy who wails on this traps...

You *could* ask him to be a bit more... Dynamic (I know, asking a rock drummer to mellow out isn't cool - but still...!)

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

In general, there is no truth to this. However, I've learned through this site that there are two types of coupling... acoustic and mechanical (I'm sure there are different names for these). Acoustical coupling regarding the floor is the same as ceilings and walls (i.e., the impact of the reflective surface), and getting the cab up a couple inches would have virtually no impact.

Mechanical coupling is the floor surface (or what is under it) actually physically coupling with the cab. This is the type of coupling, if I'm understanding this right, that makes hollow wooden stages have such a negative impact with bass rigs. For this type of coupling, having the cab up on castors can actually help a little bit (like a poor mans grama pad or whatever those things are called).

So, IMO and IME, in most cases, zero issue. In some, it could actually be a positive.

Get removable castors and it really is a moot point!

Edit: And per the above posts, it's not a volume issue in any sense. If your rig isn't loud enough, you need to add a cab!

6. spiffer07

spiffer07

Mar 12, 2007
    Hey thanks for all the input (though I may have started a debate with no clear cut answer). I just was thinking too, the amp's ALREADY not on the floor due to the little rubber rings on each corner,puts the amp up an inch believe it or not.A guy used my amp lasr week and had the e.q. low to high,set at 4 3 2 and volumes set lower than I usually do.Go figur-

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

There's really no debate:

Put your amp way up on a stool (i.e., feet above the floor), and you start to lose acoustical floor coupling and will lose low end.

Put it up 2", and you won't hear any difference unless you are on a hollow wooden stage, and the slight difference should be to the positive.

Just give it a try in various rooms and situations.

8. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    No casters IMO, I like it when the rig tickles my feet and shakes my.....

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I cut a hole in the stage floor and set my rig way down in it. Scads more bass. Sure, I can't hear the treble and midrange, but that's the price you have to pay.

Ken's right, BTW.

10. BAW

BAW

Aug 1, 2008
    Long Island
    save your back, put in the casters.

more often than not the difference is not drastic enough to effect anything, if there is a difference just tip the amp on its side.

11. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    With the casters on it will be 2" closer to your ears and farther from your knees so you might actually hear it even better!

12. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    :D LOL :D

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You won't. You have to lift a cab by feet to affect the low end, not inches. Tilting it back will allow you to better hear mids and highs and also has no effect on the lows.

14. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I used an Eden 4x10XLT on casters with a V4 head - no complaints :)

15. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    If you're really that concerned maybe put the casters on the side of the amp... or put the amp on ti's side while on the gig...

I actually prefere putting my amp higher up though. It helps you hear yourself (if the amp's at your feet you might just not hear it) and help to "throw" your sound farther (this with an EQ adjustment in favor of mids can cut any band situation with 100 watts).

16. If you have removable casters or the pop-in kind, you can have the best of both worlds and only use the front casters. (again, only if they're removeable...) This will tilt the amp back a little, and the speaker will fire more towards your head and chest and not into your knees.

This will do two things: lock the ass end of your cab to the floor, and make the cabinet sound louder because it's aiming up at your ears.

Then when you need to roll out, just pop the casters back in.

17. spiffer07

spiffer07

Mar 12, 2007
    wow-good ideas...Is it really o.k. to use a combo on it's side Any advantages?

18. Hugh9191

Hugh9191

Feb 20, 2009
    If you stuck the casters to the side then you could put it the right way up.

19. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i always pop out my casters on my cabs unless its standing up on them. they usually tend to rattle if they're on the side.