Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Casters on Carvin RC210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Sep 25, 2000.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Does anyone know if the Carvin RC210 combo has slots on it to attach casters? The Cyclops combo and the 1x15 and 1x18 have removable casters as an option, but Carvin doesn't say anything about casters on the RC210.

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I have one, and no, it doesn't have a provision for casters. However, you can easily install a set if you remove the rubber feet. A set of casters can be purchased from a decent hardware store. I did not feel the need to install them on my combo amp because it is light enough for me. BTW, I *did* install my own heavy-duty casters on my Carvin 1x18 cabinet. I wasn't impressed by Carvin's casters so I didn't order them.

Mike

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The RC210 weighs 81lbs, while the 1x18 cab weighs 72lbs. Is the RC210 balanced well enough to carry without casters?

4. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    The RC210 is quite well balanced if you pick it up facing the front - it's very easy to carry for its weight.

In retrospect, I should clarify. I added the casters to the 1x18 so I could roll the stack around (the 18 with the combo on top). It occurred to me that if you put casters beneath the combo, the stability might be questionable because of the tilt-back design (i.e., the bottom panel is kind of narrow) and it might tip over easily. Further, if you ever wanted to set the combo on top of something (like another speaker), the casters could be a problem.

Alternatively, you could put casters on the side of it (where there are rubber feet). However, if I were going to do something with wheels, my first approach would be to look into getting one of those "luggage totes". I played with a guitarist once who used one for his 2x12 amp, and it seemed to work just fine. Such a tote might work really well with the Carvin combo, and you could stow it away when not needed. It would eliminate a lot of the pitfalls of casters. Besides, you could probably walk upright rolling it around, rather than hunched way over, as the casters would require (if you are taller than 4 feet)!
    Mike

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Thanks for the info. One more question I had while looking over the RC 210 is whether or not to get the vinyl cover. Is this cover worth the $25 that it costs, or do I even need a cover at all?

6. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    To be honest, I think only you can answer that one. It all depends on how it will be used, the environment you keep it in, etc. Will you be setting beverages on it when not in use?? Will it be stored in a busy woodworking shop?? I did not opt for the cover. None of my equipment has them. I have an old Kustom 200 bass amp that I bought in 1973 and it looks just the same as when I bought it (though it hasn't been through intense use all those years). I just take good care of my stuff and don't leave it out in the rain! :)
    Mike

P.S.: I doubt vinyl covers last very long, anyway.

7. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Re: Casters, a better way to go might be to buy or build a dolly. I built one for mine -- relatively easy and cheap, plus I can use it for moving more than just the one cab.

Re: The cover, I think they're a good investment -- really cuts down on the wear and tear if you move your gear around a lot. Vinyl is okay, but if you can afford it, order up one made of Cordura -- it will last longer. Tuki Covers in South Carolina makes them. They're on the Web.