Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Casters on or off?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, May 27, 2003.

1. Leave 'em on da wheels

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Maximum floor coupling for me!

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For those of you with cabs that have detachable casters, how many of you leave them on when you play a gig, and how many take them off? I tend to leave mine on, especially when I have two big cabs stacked and my rack on top. It makes it easier to roll it out in the open, make any adujstments/plug-ins that are necessary, then roll it back into place.

Just curious, Tom.

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I guess it depends on how lazy I am for the particular gig. I have a 1x15 on top of a 4x10 or sometimes the other way around and the 4x10 has casters. I use it to haul the other stuff into the club, as I'm sure many of us do. I didn't take the casters off the first few times and then tried it with them off and noticed a significant difference. Most of the clubs we play in have a stage made of wood with carpet on top, so maybe that had something to do with it?? Once I dial in the amp (doesn't take much anymore) all I might need to adjust is volume, so I don't need the casters on. Seems like you can 'feel' it better.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'm too lazy to take them off....plus I like to be able to move my rig around the stage a little bit....if needed;)

4. My bass rig also has the monitor amp and a Mackie 20 channel mixing board on the top. It's impossible to rig without casters on the cab.

5. My 115 weighs almost 8stone. I bought it partially because industrial casters were "included"... Peavey didn't say that was only for USA customers grrr...
    I have to lug this monster around with 2 other people thanks to its lack of wheels, and the lack of hardware stores around here that stock casters.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it really depends on the stage
    obviously it's easier to leave them on
    when i used a swr 410 and an eden 210xlt it sounded much better with the eden on the bottom so i usually popped out the 410's casters and put it on top
    taking the casers off allows the cabinet to "couple" with the floor and use it as a resonator - sometimes this sounds wonderful, sometimes it sounds like doody
    so it all depends on the stage

7. lol, what's the point if you take them off? Leave them on, noone notices. It makes it easier to reposition and set up/take down.

8. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I am lucky enough to have a 1x15 cab that can be thrown up on it's side to match the same demensions as my 2x10 combo. So the casters stay on, but are on the side of the cab when I play. I can leave it on the wheels if I want to as well.

9. I've got two matching cabs, one with casters and one without. One stays in the practice space for one band, the other in the space for the other band. So, it just depends on which band I'm playing with at the moment. :)

I do tend to use the one with casters for the band the gigs most frequently. It's just a lot easier to move the cab around, and that band's quieter to begin with so I don't really need to try and get floor coupling going for the sake of volume. I can understand the appeal of having the whole stage to reinforce your rig, but to be honest, in my experience things can get pretty boomy in a hurry on a hollow stage without the casters.

When I have both cabs stacked for larger gigs, the one with casters goes on the bottom, too.

Mike

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i don't have casters, and its not a big deal. i want to throw some on. i don't see why people would go thru the whole ordeal of taking off casters... you should just tip the cab on its side... and has anyone else heard that if you put a 1x15 on top of a 4x10 it sounds better than the other way around???

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If I use just the one cab by itself (usually a Berg HT310), I leave the casters on (assuming the stage is level). However if I stack a 2x10 on top, I remove the casters so that the taller stack is more stable.

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I leave them on. There's no benefit I can see (or hear) to taking them off; it doesn't make the cabinet louder or anything.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I leave mine on. There should be negligible sonic difference either way.

My cab weights 93 pounds. I bet any cab over 40 or 50 pounds actually couples with the floor/stage better with casters on than off.

Some audiophiles have spikes under their speakers so they can make a more firm connection with the floor. Casters are like spikes, but with a bit larger contact area.

14. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I'm Lazy Too! On They Stay!

15. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I use a mover's dolly for my gear, and I take the cabs off when I play -- I like the feel of coupled cabs.

16. Yeah, I've used Casters for transport.

On stage it's front casters on,
    Back casters off
    for the 'tilt.'

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Because, with bass frequencies, the casters would vibrate loudly and rattle if you left them on and simply laid the cab on its side.

Personally, I use pop-out casters. I take the casters off my 4x10 when I put it on top of my 1x15. I only take them off the 1x15 if I want to lay it on its side.

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Much of what "audiophiles" do, don't actually do anything except in a psychological sense. ;)

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yeah, I guess people who can hear the difference are so special they can rent their ears out.

"I'll come listen to your system and tell you how badly it sucks, if you compensate me adequately for my valuable time."

20. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Usually off. but laziness, configuration of the stage, and room acoustics are also factors that I consider.

For some small gigs with a cramped stage, I take the rear casters off and leave the front casters on. This results in the cab tilting back slightly, so I can hear the highs and mids better.