Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Casters or Dolly Board for cabs ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jeffvirgo, Jun 3, 2003.

1. jeffvirgo

jeffvirgo

Jan 10, 2003
    I have an SWR Goliath II and have just ordered a Music Man Audiophile 2-12. Both cabs are over 90 LBS. I'm trying to decide whether to go with casters on both or a heavy-duty dolly board...any thoughts??

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I use a hand truck to move my Music Man 2x12.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I use a dolly board to move my Workingman's stack, a 2x10 and a 1x15...does the job...

4. Get a hand truck. That way, you can move your bass cabinet and about 100 other things as well (PA subwoofers, file cabinets, big houseplants, the "some asembly required" entertainment center cabinet that your wife just bought, the dresser full of clothes, ... get the point??)

;)

5. JimboBass

JimboBass

May 23, 2003
    I recomend a hand truck or dolly board. Many times the casters can rip out of the wood. Plus, casters sometimes rattle and they cut the low end. If you don't install them correctly air can leak out and that will change the tone.

6. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i got a hand truck for christmass, and i can roll my amp all over town it has nice big tires, not wheels,i used to have trouble just moving it around my house. now i'm free!
    much better than small piddley wheels.

7. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I use a 16" x 24" Duratuff carpet-covered dolly board that's made by Carvin. Unload, stack & roll. They look good under carpeted cabs - the dimensions are a perfect fit for my cabs. And it'll raise your cab(s) 4 1/2" higher, if you don't need floor coupling.

You can't beat a hand truck, though. Easier to drive, and a little faster on rough surfaces. The dolly board has a hard time with door thresholds, gravel parking lots, etc.

8. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I used to used a heavey duty luggae cart to haul around my cabs. The thing worked great. The only bad thing about using a luggage cart or hand truck is that the cart will rub (in certain spots) away the carpet and leave wear marks on your cab. Plus, now you have to hide this big hand truck behind your amp. The luggage cart was nice because it was collapsable.

I have casters on my cabs. I would highly reccomend them. A good set of casters only cost 25.00 and can be pulled out of need be.

I do not see how a set of caster screws could be ripped out. The only way I could see this happining is if you rammed the cab against a street corner or train track. And I mean rammed. The casters on my Aggies are solid.

As far as air leaking out, Installing a set of casters is not going to cause a serious air leak. If you install the four screws correctly you wont have any problems.

Not trying to offend anybody, just my .02.

9. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I used to live on the 3rd floor of an aprtment building (with an elevator and an underground parking garage). The dolly board I had was wide enough (and strong enough) that I could stack an Eden 1x15 and 2x10 plus my amp on top, and there was enough overhang to place a hardshell case on each side. I would then use a compression strap to hold the cases against the speaker cabs. I could load in and out in one trip!

I still have the dolly board, but I also use a hand truck with pneumatic tires since it rolls easier over any surface.

Casters and dolly board wheels can be kind of hard to roll on uneven surfaces, or through a gravel parking lot.

Then only drawback to a hand truck is having enough room in your vehicle.

JD