1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

casters vs. no casters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Oct 27, 2006.

1. seeing the other caster thread made me wonder--my basson sound cab has casters, is there any difference tonally when playing with the casters on in comparison to the casters off?

2. Actually I think there is. If your cab is in direct contact with the floor, there is a "coupling" effect, where the cab resonates more and sounds bassier since there is more surface area in contact with the floor. Not sure of the science or if this is entirely accurate, just what I've heard.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I prefer casters because they make it less tiring to move my rig, and therefore I play better.

4. I'm old and lazier now, but I used to religiously yank the casters to make sure the cab sat flat on the floor. It always seemed to me it allowed the cabinet to drive the stage floor, creating subharmonics the whole band could feel through their feet. This, of course, helped drive the dance floor as well.

Doc

5. I took the casters off both my Cabs...

its a good idea.. to make a dolly from those casters, or another set... or just buy a dolly... either way you are sitting pretty... i dont mind carrying my 15 alone... the 4x10 i can but i usual get someone to help...

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

With all the cabinets I've owned that had removable casters, I've never noticed a tonal difference between casters on or off. So, unless I think the cab is going to roll away somehow (jostled by a drunk?!), I leave 'em on.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Removable casters are the ticket, too boomy, take them out, not enough low end, put them in. Lot's easier rolling cabs than carrying them.

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I like the idea of putting casters on a piece of plywood and then putting the cabs ontop of that.

9. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    i havent put casters on my cab yet. but when i do i hear that when you play just to put the cab on its side so it is on the floor...best of both worlds.

10. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    Think it through. The big speaker is vibrating the cabinet, which vibrates the floor to the extent it is connected to the floor, and to the extent that the floor vibrates. Without the casters, there's a LOT more contact between cab and floor.

If the floor is concrete, who cares? If the floor is a hollow wooden stage, then it might really matter (depending on size of speaker, watts being driven to the speaker, etc.) And if it matters, it might make matters either worse or better depending on circumstances. Trust the sound man on this.

My experience is this: Always have your casters with you. The equipment moves MUCH more easily on wheels. If you sound better (according to the sound man) with them off, take them off. When it comes time to shove the stack around, put them back on.

11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i have them on and keep them on. i find it easy to move, and if i want more "bassy" sound, i have a bass knob and deep switch.

12. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Casters.....the bigger the better!;) :D

13. I prefer casters of the rubber compound type, they vibrate less the the plastic type on uneven floors; also rubber wheels tend to go over small objects easier than plastic casters which tend to jam up against small stones etc.
    Soundwise I've never really noticed too much difference down the years if any, most of the difference comes from the actual building/stage construction itself.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I think the "coupling effect" is valid(and useful to me), yet don't feel like carrying my cabs - my solution is to put them(casters) on the side of my cabs... That way, I can roll 'em in and out, then just turn them to rest on their feet... As for "boomyness" - hey, that's what I've got EQing for - I can always knock the bass back a bit if I'm getting a bit too much... The downside to side mounted casters??? - cheaper ones *can* rattle with some bass frequencies, but I haven't had that problem with good quality casters... My 1810(recently aquired) already had 'em mounted on the bottom - but it doesn't seem to have ANY problems getting "bassy" enough - so, for now I'm just gonna leave 'em there... As for my 410 and 115, their casters are side mounted - and it's worked out quite well...

- georgestrings

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I like that I can roll a cab around my studio on it's casters but for gigs I use a cart or dolly. I have seen casters catch and ruin the wood on the bottom of the cab. You also avoid the shock of rolling over tile. In Hawaii to get to a gig from the front of a hotel you may roll 1/8 of a mile on tile. That's a lot of bumping. My 2 cents.

16. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    When i dont want my cab to sit on casters I just put my cab on its side.

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

In my experience, that doesn't work so well with some ported cabs - due to port locations...

- georgestrings

18. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    In my experience the bass frequencies that are let loose by a port are nearly non-directional because of the length of the waves in that range.

I put more than one of my cabs on end over the years with virtually zero difference in sound out front.

19. thats exactly what i did for my amp,
    but im pretty sure the little castors i got are to small,
    and i'd much rather get a foldable dolly.

20. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I am a Nocaster... LOL (Fender Nocaster), I like the sound of the cabs on the floor, also casters get old and make for more crap to rattle.