Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Casters: Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 'JC', Jul 12, 2005.

1. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Do you use casters on your cabs?

I have carpeted floors where my gear is and am debating putting them on my 115 for the sole reason my cab is carpeted and picks up my floor's carpet fibers and my dog's hair.

Soundwise, how would this affect me while gigging?

2. I use casters and haven't noticed a bit of difference soundwise.

3. I use casters also. Can't tell any sonic difference at all. Come to think about it I take the castors off when I play. Not sure I want to stack 2 cabs and 2 racks with the castors on... :D

Randy

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Removable casters. You can tinker with on or off when playing, but you can move your gear around without getting a hernia.

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Removable casters with large cabs.

Allows you to couple with the floor (or not, if you choose) and still move everything easily.

6. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    yay for wheels !!!

They are why we are better then the rest of the animal kingdom.

7. Casters may work fine in the city, but in the country with lots of dirt and gravel parking lots a dolly works a lot better. Plus it's easier to go up and down stairs with a dolly.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Agreed. And I also like having an Auralex Gramma pad, or two, in the arsenal for yet more options.

Tom.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Personally, I have the option for Casters on both my GK cabs and use them accordingly. However, I usually roll the cabs onto their sides to couple with the floor and only roll them back into the casters if it's TOO boomy.

10. Stairs! You need one of these babies :D

[​IMG]

I havent bothered putting castors onto my 4x10 I keep thinking maybe but then I just use a sack trolley :meh:

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    FRG:

Who makes that dolly? That is one heavy duty, stair climbing machine!

Tom.

12. I'm a huge fan of removable castors. With my 410 cab, it's tall enough (and light enough) to easily roll in with my head and guitar stand on top... one trip in, one trip out... no extra dolly's etc. to clutter up the car or stage.

The other advantage is the option to pull out all castors and couple the cab to the floor when you need more low end at certain volumes in certain rooms, or leave the front two castors in and use it as a 'tilt back mechanism' when you are stuck standing very close to your amp, or keep them on to 'uncouple' the cab from the floor/stage in situations where things get a little boomy.

13. www.merlin-industrial.co.uk/ First results for 'Stair Climbing Trolley' on google images :D

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
  15. No problem, if you type that into google I think I saw some dollar signs and I am sure loads of places across the pond will stock them :) Let me know if you actually get one though! I wanna know how good they are.

16. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    removable casters and you have the best of both worlds...

17. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Removing/replacing casters is a pain. I love my folding hand truck, it's a less expensive version of the genre that looks exactly like this one I found at Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=171232-26675-H003A&lpage=none. Just $40.

The handle slides down and the wheels and plate fold in and up, so you can tuck it behind your rig on stage. They make more expensive versions (that I probably should have invested in) but this one performs well enough that I won't replace it. It easily handles my pair of cabs weighing over 90 lbs.

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1

I dunno if you can still get them from them, but Eden had 2" removable "pop out" casters for about 25 bucks. I'm sure you can get them elsewhere. All you need to install them is the appropriate size "butterfly" wood drill to make the holes for the sockets. The wood screws are generally self installing.

19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    FYI, for removeable casters, don't get the ones that insert into a hole in the center. Those have ALWAYS failed on me sooner or later.

Get the ones that snap into a rectangular metal plate on the cab. Available at Parts Express online, you can choose any number of wheel sizes to snap into them, from 1" to 5". Great for "parking lot terrain", and you can snap in any size at any time. Never wear out, never accidentally fall out, well worth the $$$ if you gig alot.

20. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i never had an issue with mine, but those parts express ones sound cool, especially with the larger wheels. The 2" units are really only good for floors and flat asphalt.