1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Casting Crowns-To Know You-Bass Tab HELP!

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by FriedensUCC, May 11, 2011.

1. FriedensUCC

FriedensUCC

May 11, 2011
    Does anybody have a tab for To Know You by Casting Crowns? We are playing this song at church this weekend and while I have figured out most of the bass riff by ear, some of the tricky little (but awesome) fills are really giving me fits. I have tried watching the one video on youtube of CC playing it live, but it's too dark and Chris is too far away from the camera to really see what he is doing.

Adam, if you (or anybody who knows it) could answer a prayer and help me I would greatly appreciate it. It truly is a tasty riff and since I'm a perfectionist I want to play it right, down to the last detail.

Thanks and God Bless

- Caleb

2. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001
    hi caleb!

it's been a while since i played on that song, but i'd be happy to try and answer any questions you might have about it. is there a specific fill you are trying to figure out? unfortunately i don't have a tab for it, though... (thanks for your kind words regarding my bass line. :) )

3. FriedensUCC

FriedensUCC

May 11, 2011
    Hey Adam, first off thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my message. I appreciate that very much. The fills I'm struggling with are the quick ones that are in between the turnarounds on the verses etc.

If you're listening to the original track off the album, the ones I speak of are from 1:42-1:44 - 1:55-1:57 and then the walk up from C# at 3:19-3:22, right before the fill that comes between the E and B chord change a few seconds later. If you don't mind me asking, what mode are you using for those fills?

On a side note, Your style, phrasing and creativity is truly an inspiration to me and I try to model my playing from yours. I remember the first time I heard To Know You and I was totally hooked within the first verse and knew I had to learn it right away. I actually went home and hammered away at it for nearly 2 hours. The melodic nature and smoothness of your riffs/fills really add something else to the music. A lot of times the bass is just a low rumble in the back of the mix that you really have to be listening for to pick up. But with this song in particular it jumps out at you from the get go and commands your attention, I like that.

Thanks,
    Caleb

4. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001
    caleb, i'm out of town right now but will see what i can figure out for you when i get back. thanks for your really kind comments and for being a listener!!! i appreciate that a lot! :D

5. DirtPoorRobins

DirtPoorRobins Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2005
    VA
    Not trying to step on Adam's toes, but I love a good reason to do a little transcribing, and Adam's tracks are always great to transcribe.

For the fill at 1:47- it's D#-E-D B-C#-B-F#-E

For the fill at 1:55- he slides up to D#-E-D#-B-F#-E then I believe he does a slight pickup on a C# up to the F# to start the groove again.

The walk up at 3:19- I believe he's still just hammering out 8th notes going C#-D#-E-G# moving on each down beat with a pickup note B going back up to E to start the chorus again.

Feel free to correct me, but at least I think that'll get you in the ball park.

6. FriedensUCC

FriedensUCC

May 11, 2011
    Ok Adam no worries, we play this song regularly so I will keep checking this thread in the future.

Robins- thanks for your reply! I appreciate it, now only if I had my bass with me right now so I could try it out. I will try it out tomorrow and see if I can make it work. Once again thanks for your input. I'm glad I found this forum!