1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Castors...on or off?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bumperbass, Oct 7, 2017.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I've been wondering if it's better to leave the pop-out castor wheels IN on a gig or take them off? The guys in the band like to feel the stage floor so they like them out. Sometimes on a typical wooden stage..(hollow) I think it's better to leave them on...to de-couple them from the floor maybe? Then I started wandering what would be the best thing to do on a concrete floor? The reason I even started to think about this was after seeing those isolation stands for studio monitors in a catalog. I know I've read some things about this subject while cruising online, but I really can't remember the definitive solution.
    Any acoustical engineers out there? What do you think?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The wheels may provide some mechanical decoupling, but not acoustic decoupling. For me, hollow-floor stages are a nightmare. I use a Gramma Pad and it helps somewhat. Putting a cab on the floor will add about 3 dB on the bottom and can lead to boominess, especially on a hollow floor. So I'd leave the wheels on.

3. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Thanks, man. I have an opportunity to try 'wheels on' tonight. I am curious to see if I hear a difference with regards to note definition or tightness.

Stumbo likes this.
  4. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I use wheels because I just need the mobility while setting up on stage.

Stumbo likes this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

I always leave wheels on.

"Feeling" the bass on stage may please your band mates but reduces control of your tone. Why fight boominess when you don't have to? Especially if you can't hear how it is effecting your tone FOH.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    On a spongy stage, I like to use a Gramma pad, casters removed. I makes a difference. Normally I remove the casters or dolly. Locking casters, if left on will prevent any rolling.

Many people like to leave the casters on so they can pack up get off the stage as quickly as possible at the end of the gig.

Ghostinthemach and Stumbo like this.
  7. JTE

JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I tend to avoid both Castor and Pollux. Just can't trust twins raised by wolves.

I take the casters off my cabinets at gigs to ensure stability and prevent rattles. I also replaced the stock 2" casters with 3" ones. Makes it a lot easier to roll across gravel and uneven parking lot paving. It also relieves stress and shock on the caster mounts, making them last longer.

Bob Lee (QSC), fretter, rtav and 7 others like this.
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

You will hear what you want to hear, that's just human nature. ;)

Never do it just because your bandmates wants it............. ;)

BadExample and Sartori like this.
  9. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    I leave the wheels on the bottom cab to decouple a wee from the floor, but remove them from the top cab so it doesn't roll off.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    BTW, it's "casters."

Bob Lee (QSC) likes this.
  11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    The only times I ever took the casters off while playing was on a couple riverboat gigs. Didn't want it dancing around the floor while we were rollin' on the river... :D

12BitSlab and Sartori like this.
  12. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I remember playing a job on a not so level stage and my cabinet on casters rolled right off. Kinda embarrassing.

13. hombass

hombass

Jul 5, 2012
    You can also just remove the back casters to angle your cab up a bit. I wouldnt completely isolate the cab from the floor unless it really messes up the sound. Best most lively, least boomy stage i ever played on was one constructed of straw bales with 3/4 inch plywood on homeplate of a ball diamond with tarp on the fence behind us. If the whole band can feel the bass in their feet, gigs go better. What a gig. 150th anniversary of the catholic church in a small town in north iowa.

Lvjoebass likes this.
  14. xk49w

xk49w Supporting Member

Casters on. I can't hear any difference (deef?). Pick the right ones - rattling casters are anathema.

15. whero

whero

Aug 28, 2016
    New Zealand
    I leave them on. If you don't have lockable casters you can buy rubber "caster cups" in hardware stores that the wheels sit in to stop them rolling away (and they offer a little protection for your home carpet too). OK, they do give the bottom 2" of your rig a bit of a grandma's couch look so you may lose cool points, but very practical all the same.

16. Sartori

Sartori Supporting Member

Guitarists are idiots who think things matter that don't. Unless your cab isn't braced properly, it's transmitting vibration acoustically, not mechanically.

4-stringB likes this.
  17. Sartori

Sartori Supporting Member

If you can hear caster rattle, you're not playing loud enough.

18. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Zactly^^^^^^^^^^ !

19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I always removed the casters - didn't want anyone bumping into the amp and it moving. Just set the cab where you want it, rock forward to remove the back, and back to remove the front. Leave the casters right next to the cab, or in your case. Takes about 20 seconds.

20. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83 Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2017
    I leave 'em on and EQ as needed... The only time I remove casters is if stacking cabs makes it a necessity, and then only on the top cab...

Sartori likes this.