Cat and Dog Owners

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Our house is a zoo. Two cats, a dog, a bird, two kids and me :p . I just got my girlfriend a kitten for Christmas and they seem to all be getting along together amazingly well. But there's one issue that's kind of creeping me out. The kitten is a female short hair around 3-4 months old and the dog is a female shepherd/lab mix around 8-9 years. The dog keeps putting her mouth on the kitten. The dog goes up to kitten and puts her mouth on her and it looks like she's going to eat kitty's head! But all she does is get kitty all full of slobber. Kitty doesn't mind, she's not afraid of the dog (she hisses at the cats occasionally) and the dog seems to like the kitty. Anybody know about this kind of stuff?
  2. I'm watching my dogs doing it right now. Pico, the elder, often does this to the puppy, Travis, when they're mock fighting. I think it's just a random playful doggie thing. Pico never closes her mouth, just kinda... mouths him. I'm sure there's a better verb I could be using than that, but that's the best way I can describe it. As long as your dog doesn't close her mouth, then you're grand!

I notice yours has lab in it, Pico's also a lab. Maybe it's a lab thing? 'Tis entertaining anyway!
  3. But Kitty's all Spitty!

"Mouthing" is the word we've been using as well! :D
  4. Hehe, Kitty's just gonna have to deal with being spitty I'm afraid. You can teach your dog not to do this if it bothers you, but if Kitty doesn't mind (she'd make it well known if she did!) then I see no problem.

On a tangent: Is it proper English to say "elder"? I know we say eldest, but elder sounds fishy, should I be saying "older" in relation to the ages of animals?

That's gonna bother me now...
  5. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My dad raised show quality English Setters before I was born. Had a couple of westminster champions back in the 50's or something...

Anyway, I can enlighten you on this behavior. That's the way a dog will show the target of the mouthing, that the dog intends no harm. Basically, look,,, your hand is in my mouth,, & I COULD bite you, but because I like you,, I won't.
  6. Well, if it makes you feel any better, when you wrote "Pico, the elder" I thought "Pliny the Elder."

I'm a dork.
  7. Even if she keeps doing it. I was thinking some sort of nurturing thing- you know that maternal instinct sort of thing...

Or kittys are tasty...

Or little black kittys with black wet fur look like Sid Vicious... (and smell like him too)
  8. colinbass

Dec 16, 2004
    Dogs usually do that to small cats
  9. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Maybe she is just tasting her to see if she is ready for eating. Kinda like when you taste the spaghetti sauce.

Maybe if the kitty rolls around in gravy she go ahead and chow down.
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    LOL, that's funny.

Years ago, I bought 3 pets approx same time frame... 2 orange tabby kittens, brothers. 1 Alaskan Malumute puppy. They all got along WONDERFULLY. At first, they were all about the same size. 9 months later, the Malamute was 120 pounds, & could jump up & rest his head on my shoulder. BIG DOG.

Well, they all still got along, but the dog periodically would find it necessary to groom the cats, so, he'd catch one,,, gently hold the cat in his mouth, until he could pin it down with his foot,,, & completely lick them head to toe.... They'd be completely saturated in dog slobber, but man was it funny. Once done, the cats would escape & go re-clean themselves.
  11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, I'd say it's a dominance thing.
    We have two male dogs, one we've had for three years, the other for six months. The older one will periodically try to assert his dominance if the younger one gets too much attention at the expense of attention to him.
    According to a trainer we spoke to, it's natural and we shouldn't intervene unless it gets violent.
  12. I'm not familiar with Malumute behavior- they seem like really cool dogs- but I can imagine that big ol' puppy being all proud of himself for cleaning up the kittys! :smug: Completely oblivious of the cats secretly plotting their revenge!

As far as the dominance thing- she's a very submissive dog. That's not to say she's not exerting dominance over a little kitten...
  13. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I had a black lab named Sherman, and he found and brought home two of the three cats we have now. His first "find" was a 2-3 week old black and white, no-tail, male cat. He brought him home, Bob (what else can you name a male cat with no tail?) couldn't even walk. He was soaked to the bone from being out in a storm all day. My gf dried Bob off, and tried to feed him, not knowing that at the ripe old age of 2 weeks, he hadn't been weaned yet. Sherm would see him trying to walk on the carpet and would go tower over him, making sure he didn't get into any trouble. He would "mouth" him, totally drenching him, whenever he didn't like where he was going. He'd even carry his kitten around the house in his mouth! I'd come home to a slime-encrusted black and white furball and his gloating "doggy dad" shepherding him around the house. Bob would get pissed as he got bigger and he eventually stopped doing it.
  14. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    VERY VERY cool dogs... Excessively friendly, very endearing, highly intelligent. They love to work & play. BUT, They do present their own set of issues.

1) Twice a year, they "blow thier coat". What this means is, the insulatory undercoat comes out in huge clumps of hair. It's a mess, you need a wire brush to drag it out over a week or so.

2) Genetically, they're the closest registered breed to what we know as a wolf. As a result, if you don't exert dominance over them, you could be putting yourself in a bad spot. Trust me, you don't want a 120 pound bully in your home. On one occasion, I watched Splash (dogs name) walk right up to a neighbor kid, & lift his leg RIGHT ON the kid, & wee'd all over the kids chest...
  15. I find that entertaining... :D
  16. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Dude, it was hilarious, but I was sooooooo embarrassed. I felt bad, but damn... It was all I could do, to keep from busting a gut.
  17. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I would pay to see that again.

There were a a few kids in my old neighborhood that could have used that.
  18. But... Not that the dog peed on the kid, but the dog named "Splash" doing the piddling! :D