1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cat breeds?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SenorQueso, Nov 30, 2006.

1. SenorQueso

SenorQueso

Jun 28, 2005
    Boca Raton, fl
    So I'm looking too buy a cat for myself in a month or so and I was wondering what are the most laid back, friendly, and playful cats?
    Like I'm looking for a cat that will come up too my at the computer sit down in my lap and let me pet him and he'll be all "Indeed SIR INDEED!" . Know what I mean?

2. I have had wonderful experiences with all kinds of Tabby cats. I am not even sure what it is called, I think it is just a classic tabby cat, but that is my favorite. My cat sunshine is that classic tabby and 19 right now and still pretty frisky, although he has the natural problems of old age cats. He looks just like the friskies cat.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Keep in mind that it will also depend on the individual cat.

4. newchibass

newchibass

May 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Persian cats are nice. Very mellow and friendly.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    You would be best to get yourself a Lion :)

6. SenorQueso

SenorQueso

Jun 28, 2005
    Boca Raton, fl
    Will you help me fly over too Africa too capture myself a Lion?

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Just get its attention and have it follow you home.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    If you pay my air fare.

9. I've found that male cats of the tan tiger variety are very laid-back. They all seem to be really into the belly rub.

10. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I really like the Russian Blues. They're fairly large cats and the ones I have seen have been pretty friendly.
    But Poop-Loops made a good point about it depending upon the individual cat.
    Did you have breeds in mind? Have you studied up on any breed characteristics?
    Do you want short hair? (Abyssinian comes to mind) Medium Hair (Russian) or long hair (Himalayan)?
    Tail or no tail such as the Maine Coon or the Manx?

Let me quote abbrev. descriptions of cats from a cat book I got when I got my kitten.

Popular Cat Breeds-

Abyssinian: Very active, colorful and muscular. Medium in size, he has almond shaped eyes of green or gold. His head is slightly rounded on top and his tail is long.

Burmese: Stable temperment and affectionate personality.
    Medium sized, very muscular and suprising weight for size.

Egyptian Mau: Well balanced body with hind legs longer than fore legs. Distinctive spot pattern and gooseberry-green eyes

Himalayan: Persian/Siamese cross.

Maine Coon: Longhaired large bodied cat. Can weight 16 or more pounds at full growth.

Manx: Tailess, sturdy and medium sized. Soft voice and sweet disposition.

Persian: Longhaired, sturdy body, massive head. Sweet expression.

Rex: Cannot tolerate temperature extremes. Two different breeds. Cornish and Devon.

Russian Blue: Long, fine boned, muscular. Long tail, vivid green eyes.

Siamese: Long bodied, long legged, active. Most vocal of cat breeds and can jump and climb with great ease.

Ok, so it's mostly physical description, but at least some different breeds to choose from.

11. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    I was forced into taking in a stray Russian Blue cat for a few months. Very friendly and laid back. The cat was a little older so it wasn't very playful.

I also had a Maine Coon for 13 years. While he was laid back and very beautiful, he wasn't the most friendly cat. You could pet him for about 30 seconds, then he'd give you a little bite to let you know he'd had enough. Although he wasn't very friendly, that cat tolerated kids better than any cat I've ever seen. He would let them pull on him, pet him, do pretty much everything possible to annoy him, and he'd just take it. He was a very cool cat.

My brother just got a one year old cat that looks like it's half siamese.That cat is exactly what you're looking for. Like Wanderer said, it's a VERY vocal cat, but also very friendly and playful.

12. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Do you want a specific breed? Are mixed breeds ok? My black and white shorthair is a playful and friendly cat.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You also may want to consider adopting a cat or kitten from a local animal shelter or Humane Society. There will always be exceptions to the rule in terms of breeds and their behavior. Most shelters though have "play rooms" where you can be alone with the cat or kitten that you are considering and get a feel for their personality. Do they like to be petted (pet?), picked up, touched? Are they shy, bold, timid, spooked? You can really get a feel for them after about 10-15 min.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My persian was wonderful. Very laid back, loved to be pet, would always sleep in bed with me, etc. The downside is that they shed a lot (bad if you have allergies like I do), need a good deal of maintenance so they don't get knotted hair, and the fullbred ones (the ones with flat faces) can have sinus problems. Even with all of that, if I ever get a cat again it will be a persian.

15. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    "Cat Breeds"? Yes, they do. They're cheap and plentiful at your local shelter.

Good rule of thumb: Make sure yours doesn't.

Good Luck!

16. SenorQueso

SenorQueso

Jun 28, 2005
    Boca Raton, fl
    Well I was looking for the kind of cat my mother has. I've got some pictures of what she looks like Could somebody please tell me what breed of cat this is?
    4-1.
    8-1.
    3-1.
    5-1.

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Just go to the nearest shelter and let him pick you up.

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I believe that's a Tabby. We have a Calico, a breed I don't like very much. Very weird cats. Not very friendly and seems to never get fully comfortable! Almost like it's paranoid or something! We have one (called a diluted Calico) and I'm the only one it allows to pet it for any extended period of time. It'll tolerate my wife and son for about 30 seconds and then the claws come out!

19. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Looks like what is known in veterinary circles as a "domestic shorthair". If it were canine, rather than feline, it would be a mutt.

The dark markings, in that marble / tiger like pattern, are described as "tabby".

20. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Adopt Adopt Adopt ... goto shelters and spend time sitting with some of the cats, you'll know which would be a good lap cat!

Our Maine Coon cat is the biggest lap cat... he's like a dog.