Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cat passed away......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Johnny BoomBoom, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, my cat - Shaggy - was given a bad prognosis a week ago, and last Saturday we had to have him put to sleep. I still feel kinda at a loss...

He would have been 20 years old this April - a good innings by anyone's figuring...but I still miss him! At my brithday 2 weeks ago all seemed well, and it occurred to me that the first birthday I spent with him around was my 15th...

Anyway, he was agreat wee cat who went downhill fast - kidney failure - so we did what we felt was best for him. He's now out in my parents back garden where he lived all his years, and is buried next to his brother who passed on a couple of years ago.....

2. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    That's too bad. A few months one of my cats got lost. She was the coolest cat in town too. :bawl:

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sorry to hear Johnny

4. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I am so sorry for your loss, last year our Kitty passed away
    after 18 years. It is so sad, I keep pictures of him around.
    His spirit will stay with you forever. sometimes I swear I can
    still feel him jump on the bed at night.

5. I feel for ya man. Mine had to be put to sleep a couple of years ago and his last days were not easy on him. He had some kind of a failure of his digestive system and quickly got to the point that he was so week he couldn't jump up on the chair he used to sit on to watch the birds from our back deck. :crying:

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sorry to hear that Johnny.

I'm gonna haver a nervous breakdown when my cat finally has to go. I loves me my kitty...

7. Sorry to hear that Mr.Boom Boom:(

8. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    I feel for you i really do growing up i had 3 cats and 3 dogs
    the last cat died about 6 months ago and she was over 20
    and just this past sunday i had to put my golden retriever to sleep she was 17 wich is very old for a dog like her...she had been pretty bad off for a year or so but still putting her to sleep was the hardest thing i have ever done in my life...everyday i still go to give her my leftovers and than realize she is gone...i will miss her forever

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You have my every sympathy. I could not imagine my life without Miles, my kitty.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm very sorry. last year i had to put three cats to sleep within one month's time. that really hit us hard.

on the bright side, Shaggy was almost old enough legally buy beer in the US.

obviously you're a great owner, 20 years for a cat is a long time

nonetheless - :(

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Thanks for your kind words guys.....they're much appreciated!

And for all of you who have lost pets recently, I know what you went through.

And to all you guys with elderly pets.....remember we're all heer for ya.....it ain't easy....but I believe it's beter to have had your time with them and fell the loss, than never to have shared their lives at all!

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Johnny, remember the good times, and Shaggy will be with you all of your days. Always let that memory bring a smile, that is the best gift you can give both Shaggy and yourself.

I know how you feel, I lost my dog, Ripley, 7 years ago, and I STILL expect him to greet me at the door when I get home. Honestly, losing my wife was not as painful in some ways. But, I do my best to remember how happy a dog he was, how he loved to romp in high grass (he was a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and could hide in the grass) and play hide & seek with me, and I smile.

I've got two wonderful cats right now, Anniken who is 16 and Obi Wan who is 14, and I cannot bear the thought of them not being here.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sorry Johnny, you have my sympathy and best wishes. :(

14. I'm really sorry to hear about your cat, Johnny. Like Gard said, try to keep those good memories. I know it must be difficult. I had a scary moment recently when my cat got stuck in the walls during renovation of our new house, and I thought she was going to die. It literally brought me to tears.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's too bad johnny, you have my sympathies. my wife barbara and i still talk about ellenor, her cat of 18 years who passed away a few years ago.

my advice would be to go out as soon as you are able and find a young cat that needs you :) not to take the place, but to help fill the void.

16. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Boy , what a bunch of wusses we are. :bag:

Just kidding man, sorry to hear about your kitty. I've lost a bunch over the 40 some odd years my family has had cats, and it's always hard. Luckily, there's always loads of kittens out there looking for a good home.

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Absolutely, what John says is the truth. Putting a beloved pet down is one of the hardest things you could ever do. The lady and I were so upset over losing our dog, that I went and bought a pup the next day. Of course I still miss my dog badly, but this little bugger has been keeping me so busy chasing him around to keep him out of trouble, it keeps you mind off of things. I'm finally starting to warm up to him.

On that note, I think I will make a "new pets" thread.

Best of luck, and as John said, take this opportunity to give another pet in need a good home. They need us as much as we need them.

18. sorry to hear about your having to put your cat to sleep i understand how hard that is
    wow 20 yrs old thats amazing
    peace
    frank

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My parents and I recently had to put our dog, Lucky to sleep. She was around 18. The reason she was named Lucky was because of a few brushes with death. The first one was when we got her. A relative of mine lived on a farm, and didn't want her. He was going to shoot her. I don't like him very much. We rescued her from that. Then, one time, she was sleeping in the kitchen overnight, and she knocked down a big container of chocolate chips. She ate all 4 cups or so. The next day, she had puked like crazy. The vet told us to just let her puke it up. She lay in the yard all day twitching. Then years later, she had a uterine problem. They performed a histrectomy, and she made it through. Being around 17 at the time, she was not expected to make it. She did. Then a time she got a severe inner ear infection that had the symptoms of brain cancer. She also survived that. Eventually, she quit eating and wasn't moving much, so we had to put her down. I really miss her, and tear up everytime I think of her. I spent most of my childhood with her. It's hard, but they'll be with us forever. My condolances, Johnny.

20. So sorry to hear this, Johnny. :(

20 years is quite a good run though.

Mike