1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cat people: Does your cat hop up into your lap?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Jan 9, 2012.

1. I've had/been had by dozens of cats over the years, and cannot recall ever having a cat that would jump into my lap- until now: my current pair, brother/sister *Mai-Mai & Nostrils, both do this.

2. Yup, I think every cat I've ever had in the house in my 40+ years has done that. Mine even comes when you call him.

EDIT: I love to hear cat names that are unusual/funny (Nostrils!). Ours is Leroy, but we call him Mr. Boy.

3. do you put catnip in your shorts? :D

4. My old cat always used to, and a few of the times I've been to houses with cats, they'll come over and 'make a friend'.

I think I just have unnaturally warm knees.

5. Haha, nope. I've just had him since he was 5 weeks old. He's almost 18 now.

6. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    All mine do/have.... the newest addition, "meatball", particularly enjoys the lap when im at the computer.

He fetches too... it's awesome

7. To clarify- I don't mean when you're slouching on the couch, obviously(to said cat)warm & at least temporarily immobile, more like when you're in a not-terribly comfy chair & for the most part, fully upright. Ideally(for the cat, it seems), when you're doing something- reading, working on a bass, etc. For me, not so much eating- these two are not interested in people food(I'm pretty sure this point proves they're not really cats at all :ninja:).

8. I have one cat that I wish would jump in my lap. He weighs about 20 lb and prefers to cilmb into my lap. My legs have numerous puncture wounds from his claws.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Ha! I wish! God forbid I go anywhere near the cat and even attempt to pick her up, I may suffer a severe slashing! I've tried to get her to jump on my lap but she just sits there and stares!

10. Strohsx

Strohsx

Aug 16, 2011
    Yes,

He also full charge headbutts people in the knee caps.

11. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yes. Usually when I don't want her to, and occasionally when I do.

12. They usually do if then need something...

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yup. Artemis does this constantly (current cat) and my previous two, Sable and Savannah did as well. I work from home, so they jump up in my lap, sit there, sleep pretty much all day. If I get up, they follow me until I get back into my work chair, then they jump back in my lap again.

14. Fuzzer would lay on whatever I was doing. On the computer, he'd come up and lay on the keyboard....if reading a magazine or book, he'd lay on the page. Subtlety was not his strong suit.

15. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Our drummers kitten jumped up into my lap while we were having band practice yesterday. It started biting at whatever string was being played... Made playing quite difficult haha. The guitarist and singer thought that it was pretty cute though:p

16. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Some previous cats have; our current two cats do not.

17. One of my two does, the other does not. The other one has a game shes like to play while I'm practicing: she sits on the music book I'm trying to read, then when I stop playing and go to pet her, she walks away. I start playing again, she comes back and sits on the book. Repeat ...

18. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I have had many who do and many who do not.

My current cat GT (stands for Good Twin) will always hop on my lap, Ill be at the computer lots of times, look down and see her big eyes staring at me from under the desk just waiting for an opportunity. My old cat Captain Badass (GTs sister, the bad twin lol, we have 4 from the same litter) used to not only hop on my lap but she would actually crawl up and lie on my face and start to groom me (beard, hair, etc) but she got hit by a car about 8 months ago........... Found her on the way to work, cried like a baby all day.

The secret to having real affectionate cats is to groom them when they are kittens, lick their heads and nibble on their ears and necks just like the mama kitty would, a lot of times they will start doing it back when they get older.

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ive got 3 cats, 2 (Tigra & Smalls) of them will jump in my lap if Im sitting on the couch. The other )Bunny) for some reason does not like being on the couch, but she'll jump up on our bed and sit on my chest.

20. I thought I was a freak for rubbing my face on them, pretending to clean them. You win. If they don't idolize me for feeding them & doing their crappers, I'll find love elsewhere. :D