1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cat piss on my G&L's fretboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ShavedBass16, Mar 16, 2013.

1. ShavedBass16

ShavedBass16

May 18, 2012
    Yeah, so my cat kinda seizured-out a few weeks ago and ended out wetting himself, my floor, and parts of my bass. The cat's fine, the bass, not so much. I've gotten the bass mostly cleaned up, just the fretboard reeks. From a suggestion of my dad, I used some lemon Pledge wipes on it, don't really think it helped. Any Suggestions? The bass is a G&L SB-2 Tribute with a Rosewood fretboard. I just wanna play my bass without my hands smelling like a Cat-Lady's carpet. Thanks.

2. That's why I don't own cats.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Equal parts Baking Soda & peroxcide.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I would replace the strings part of the smell is going to stay on them then I would get "pure" lemon oil and rub it down until the smell is gone.

5. jay loren

jay loren Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2011
    PA/NJ
    My wife suggests vinegar which she uses to clean wood but doesn't damage it.

6. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Someone once pissed into a bottle and dumped it all over my old bass while I was upstairs. Couple weeks later that same person died when his brakes went out on him, true story. Kinda hard core karma. I know random but your story reminded me of that.

7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I'd be removing parts anywhere I suspect got soaked, and restringing goes without saying.

Flushable toilet wipes or highly diluted Mr Clean come to mind, but also be sure to use something to rehydrated the fretboard properly after using anything that might strip the oils from it. This is not advice from a professional woodworker nor a cat owner.

A custom shop style neck might be I your future, or a clothespin, a bottle of hand sanitizer, and a lot of patience.

8. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Note to admins - edit button in the iOS app would be suhweet.

9. Sounds like its time to make a trade in at guitar center. :bag: :ninja:

10. sharpbass

sharpbass

Oct 4, 2011
    First you'll need a gun, shovel, bag....

11. jdwhitak

jdwhitak

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    You just might have to wait the smell out. I don't know about using the cleaners that the others have suggested. You definitely don't want to soak the wood with them.

I've used naptha aka lighter fluid for years because it was recommended by Dan Erlewine, the famous repairman. Don't know how it will do on piss.

How was the cat in a position to piss on it anyway? Do you leave your bass laying on the floor?

12. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Replace the neck w/ a Moses Graphite equivalent. It's worth the dough. My L2000 kills now!

13. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

There are enzyme products, available at pet stores, that are designed to break down the urine and also deodorize what was peed on. That will work better than most home remedies. Sunlight is a great deodorizer but I'd use the enzyme stuff first.

14. Oh no, I feel sorry for you - cat piss is the worst. But it does get weaker with time "lots of time". Good luck

15. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I suspect you've already become sensitized to the cat piss smell so no matter how much you try to get rid of it you'll always pick up a trace hint of it and it wii eventually drive you nuts.
    I'd suggest you just bite the bullet and replace the neck with a new one and throw the old strings away. If you still detect it after that just sell the bass, chances are that after all the replacements there won't be any real odor but your mind will always have that doubt and you'll constantly swear you smell it but others won't because they haven't been sensitized to it.
    Good luck.
    Hope the cats ok now, if not be sure to hide all your other gear.

16. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Yes called Natures Miracle. You can by online too.

17. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    I use an orange oil and beeswax wood conditioner on my rosewood boards. It will clean moisturize, and the orange oil ought to overpower the smell. This I got from Carl at Lakland, good stuff. That bass will smell better than you.

18. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Maybe the cat really didn't have a seizure and was trying to tell you something about your playing.

19. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Agreed, but how much can you realistically expect to get for a cat?

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Keep my basses in their cases when I ain't playin' 'em.