Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cat-proof bass stand?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by skie`, Oct 10, 2003.

1. skie`

skie`

May 4, 2003
    Corvallis, OR
    I'm thinking about getting a stand for my bass (i don't like it sitting in the case... it makes it slightly unappealing to play on a whim). but, I have a cat that seems to be very interested in just about everything to rub up against & lean on. I'm not sure how stable normal stands are, or if theres stuff specificially for this..
    so, if anyone has suggestions on a cat-proof stand, I'd love to hear them :)

2. Wall mount your bass.

I doubt your cat could knock over a wall:p

3. whenever he starts messing with it,smack him good

4. skie`

skie`

May 4, 2003
    Corvallis, OR
    i'm not home a lot of the day.

wallmounting sounds like a good idea though.

5. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    i have a pretty naughty kitty too... gets into everything and tears stuff up like a puppy.
    but all my basses are on standard A-frame electric guitar/bass stands from www.musiciansfriend.com

he hasn't knocked any of them down since they sit on their bodies, giving the whole structure a low and stable center of gravity.

6. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    My kitty loves to knock stuff over, here is the evidence.But seriously I use the On Stage stands
    with the spring loaded neck piece, they also sit
    lower to the ground.

[​IMG]

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :rolleyes: you're not planning on having children are you?

skie`: I wall mount my basses and guitars. It works well for the spur of the moment jamming.

As for "Cat Correction Theropy" we use a water spray bottle.

8. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
  9. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I also keep them on an angle against the wall, this
    gives it alot less chance of being knocked over.
    And you should never hit your kitty cat, just
    explain to them why you dont want them to knock
    over your Bass, they understand more than you think. Of course when they get wild & go nuts
    nothing is safe.
    [​IMG]

10. skie`

skie`

May 4, 2003
    Corvallis, OR
    cool, thanks guys. i think i will go with a standard A frame if they're not too tippy. he's not a terribly destructive cat, just curious.

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    [​IMG]

I've let Memphis inspect each bass and satisfy his curiousity. Now he just ignore them, unless I'm playing. Then he just goes to sleep...:meh: :eek::D

12. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Can of Lysol. NO, I don't mean spray it on the cat whenever he's bad. I mean cats (and dogs, for that matter) HATE clean or "disinfected" smells. I had a German Shepard pup that liked to chew on EVERYTHING. I caught him on one of my speaker cabs one time, but just didn't have the heart to take out my frustraitions (HE had no idea that I bought him for 4 times less than what I paid for the cab). Later that night, an odor from the outside (open windows) perminated my house. I took a can of America's Favorite Smell Good, started spraying, and noticed he hauled his black and tan rump out of there faster than a French soldier running from a cap gun. So I sprayed the side of the cabnet, a few cords, and a bit on my nice CHEWABLE leather strap. Worked like a charm...

I think cats get even MORE ticked when it comes to smells so try this:

Place your bass and stand in a place where it's ALWAYS gonna be. This is important because cats actually develop a mental "territorial map" of thier homes (this is why you can toilet train a cat). Assuming you have carpet, spray a circle of the Lysol around the bass in layers: thicker as you get closer to the bass starting about 2 feet from the bass. The cat will smell what he considers and offending odor, make that mental note of it, and avoid that area, even at play.

If you yourself can't stand Lysol, try it with another product. In my experiance with cats, they pretty much think of us as a bunch of hairless monkeys and anything we like as far as scent goes, they can't stand.

Then again, it should work with hardwood floors...

Hope it Helps

13. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)

Just curious, do you abuse animals in real life? :rolleyes: