Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cat question;

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stu L., Feb 21, 2003.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Do cats get jealous? Or is my cat sick? Ever since we got home from the hospital with the baby, our cat has been using the restroom everywhere but the liter box. His diet and litter are the same as always. At first I thought it the box might be full, it wasn't but I empetied it anyway. I know there are some cat lovers here, so any ideas?

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    It is a new animal in it's envorinment. A little jealousy, and a little territoriality, and as you know, peeing is directly linked to their territory. My cats did it too when we brought home my little bro, and when we brought home my puppy. It will pass as things get to normal, and the cat gets used to the fact that there is a new animal in the house ;)

EDIT: I forgot to add, congratulations on the new addition to the household :) Have fun being a daddy.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've seen cats experience every emotion that a human has ever experienced.

My favorite is when Miles, (my cat), gets embarrassed. That's cute.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Yep, pretty much! Our cats went a bit weird when we brought our son home. Gave him a wide berth - but would sneak over to the moses basket to have a fly sniff, their eating habits changed (like they stopped eating for a few days) I don't recall them doing the toilet everywhere for that though.

Although in our first flat, some tomcat had sprayed outside our front door, and our big goofy tomcat (who was neutered) decided to mark his territory inside the front door - and he could pich for Scotland.....

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh, when mine do something silly and they get embarassed, they attempt to maintain some dignity and walk off pretending nothing happened.

6. yes, your cats are acting out. where there was attention focused on them, there is now a new addition taking away from them. rightly so, congrats on the baby.
    it will take them time to get used to the baby. they are also going to have to deal with not being able to go certain places and doing certain things while baby is with you. so they are going to act very jealous. don't worry, they will stop eventually.
    they will see the baby does not take love away from them and get things together. have fun until then:D

7. Whoa, your cat is named miles too?

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

They taste just like Chicken!

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Thanks everyone. I was just about ready to send a fully papered Persian sailing thru the door! That would be an expensive loss. He's a cute cat, the kind that gets attention when he wants it, and then you can leave for all he cares. OK, problem solved, for now.

10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

Yeah, I've seen it too. Cats are a lot more human-like than we realize or would like to admit.

My cat gets embarassed sometimes too... Like when he tried to jump on top of the chair, but he slipped. He landed on his butt, but ran under the table in embarassment. It was quite funny :D

Another thing I noticed, cats can be really compassionate (at times). When I was really sick with mono (I had it bad), Storm came and sat with me for most of the 3 weeks I was out. Usually he is a little bundle of energy and insanity, but he was able to tell that I was in pain, and he comforted me :)

I love my kitties.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if i'm not mistaken, amadeus, you have a tortie, right? i do too, they're very persnickity. does yours talk to you alot? sally talks to me all the time. she also lays on my head at night, and sometimes sucks on my earlobe ( :eek: )

and yes, they do get very "piss-y" all over the place when they have to deal with a new "roomate", at least mine have.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How does your wife feel about this?

13. I KNOW THE ANSWR OOO PICK ME!

cats, when they get older, they get really wierd when there are major changes in their environment. It's bad for people with older cats to move and stuff, their cats flip, I'm guessing that this change is having the same effect on your cat.

14. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    my cat bites me when i do sit ups, haha. my other cat plays in my hair when i lay down.

15. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    It's too bad you don't have a female... My parents had a female cat before I was born and thing pratically adopted me when I came home from the hospital. It came running if I was upset and it always slept in my room. I'm sure yours will adjust though...

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I do think that cats can get moody. When i started to have rehearsel 6-9 again she started to lay down on my legs while i'm sleeping more or in the morning after i've started my car and am waiting for it to warm up [i got back inside] she'll lay on my lap for the 5 minutes or so and gets up exactly when i need her to. She's a great great cat; is asleep within arms distance of me. pic of her checkin out the new ray5 attached

17. Ghosta

Ghosta

Jan 18, 2003
    When we got our puppy, the cat would limp. And then a few days later she would switch paws. We figured she was just jealous.

Just give attention to your cat, and watch over him/her to make sure he doesnt do anything you dont want him/her to do.

18. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well first off look at the obvious.

If they are sick/bladder infection. They will do this. Especially if the food you feed them is high and ash and sets the pH off.

Take it to a vet.

19. I do know that cats let you know when they are hungry just like babies.

The cat in this photo certainly let my wife know it wanted feeding. Scared the C*** out of her when it pounced, hence the out of focus photo.[​IMG]