1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cat Repellent

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by metron, Jan 23, 2013.

1. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    My neighbors have an "outside" cat that likes to hang out in my yard. Unfortunately it's made my yard it's litterbox too. The neighbors aren't about to do anything to help so I have to take care of it. I have a fence but the cat can leap right over it. My first thought for a solution was to trap it then put it on a one way space elevator but the likelyhood of completing such a project in less that the next 10 years is improbable. Also there would be a lot of poo by then and the cat would have died of old age.

So barring that idea, any tips on how to stop the cat?

2. bb gun

3. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Shoot that cat in the ass with an airsoft gun and you'll never see it again.

4. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Mothballs

5. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I had the same problem. Not just one cat it seemed to be every cat in the nieghborhood. It was really bad, stinky and drawing flys. We tried all kinds of things but none worked. Finally put some wire mesh on top of the fence like in the picture I have attached. One end of the mesh has wires that point straight up. The mesh is flexible enought that the cats can't get over it. I have a small yard so it didn't take much. It's ugly but we haven't had cat poop in our yard for over four years now.

Attached Files:

6. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    The cat is smart enough to know im gone all day so thats when it comes around. Occasionally i see it during the weekend so i could airsoft it. Otherwise i need something that will work when i am away.

Do mothballs really work?

7. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Chicken wire! Good call slo. I have a large fence but its chainlink so already unsightly.

8. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    It should. It worked for us, we took 2-3 small mason jar with some mothballs in each, placed them at strategic places and the cats stopped coming.

9. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Best cat repellent I know - a dog

In my neighborhood, we now have some new cat repellents - a pack of coyotes.

Mothballs would probably work well.

10. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    My solution to this same problem was to get a "have a heart" trap and trap the cat.
    I then took it to the animal control center in our town. They called the owner who had to come get it and pay a small fine...I think it as $20 or so. Then the owner came to our house and asked us why we trapped the cat and taken it to the shelter...I guess the animal control people told her who had brought it in...I told her that her 'free range' cat was urinating and defecating in the flower bed just outside my front door and adjacent to my bedroom window, preventing us from being able to open our windows or door without having to endure the smell. I also told her I would continue to trap her cat and take it to the animal shelter if she didn't find a way to keep it out of my front garden. it never happened again with her cat but I ended up trapping countless stray tom cats with that trap.

The odd thing is; in our town there was a leash law ( we don't live there anymore...now live in the country)...that applied to dogs. But no leash law or ordinance that applied to cats. And the stray cats were really a problem, as well as the domestic cats that owners just let go outside to 'do their business', which always seems to end up happening on neighbor property. I presented that issue to the city many times and they refused to do anything about it. So I resorted to the trap.

Personally I like cats. I just don't like other peoples cats using my yard as a toilet :)

11. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Mothballs don't work with my neighbors dozen or so cats. Yep, I said dozen or so. No law against them coming over and crapping in my yard, but dogs have to be under control. Now I'm starting to have trouble with them and their two dogs because their fence is falling apart and the dogs are beginnign to come into my yard.

No comments needed. There's about a dozen cats at last count, 2 dogs, 5 adults and 3 kids and 1 infant living in an 1100 sq ft 3 bedroom home that resembles something you'd find in a bad trailer park. The cats regularly tear out their screens to get in and out of the place during the warmer months. In the winter they wait by my garage trying to get in when the door opens.

I hate cats.

I shoudn't really say that, I do like animals overall. I just hate the owners. There's at least 3 other cat owners in the neighborhood and they all keep their cats indoors. And spayed and neutered.

12. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Airsoft or low-power BB gun. Don't kill, just give it a sting. It will associate your yard with pain and leave it alone.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Dont shoot the cat, airsoft or not.

If the mothballs work, go that route. Otherwise I suggest a dog.

There may be an ordinance as to how many cats a person can have legally. I'd look into that.

14. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    I have a great cat repellent...150 pounds of bulldog. I have a male American bully and a femal pit. They get very excited when they see cats, squirells, other dogs, etc. Needless to say, my neighbor's cat keeps a very smart distance from my yard.

15. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    If I saw someone shoot at my cat with an airsoft gun I would call the police and try to have them arrested for animal cruelty.

I live next to a path in the woods and constantly have dog owners let their dog off the leash beforehand and run around my yard. Think I should start taking potshots at them?

16. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    No, but you should take pot shots at the people who let them off the leashes.

17. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    People who have never been zinged by an airsoft bb at pointblank range have no idea that it will not kill the varmint just give it a sting, cmon noone said hit it with a 22 or a 410 , now that would be cruel, as well as solve the prob.

18. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    It's ok don't worry, no cats will get shot. Really airsoft doesn't hurt unless it's heavy, high fps, and point blank but I could see how that would upset someone who actually likes cats.

19. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I've been shot hundreds of times if not more with airsoft bb's, it's not cruelty but then again I wouldn't shoot a cat. Squirrels on the other hand...

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021