Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cat talk - How do YOU shut yours up?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dharma, Feb 25, 2006.

1. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    My cat Mia, a 6lb. ~1 year old, is the most annoying animal I've ever owned. She enjoys yowling at the front door of my apartment while my girlfriend and I sleep, forcing us to get up and let her out. She'll then yowl at the front door from the other side until we let her in.

Other silly cat games include: Running from you when you open the door to let her in and hiding under my car until you close the door, then yowling to get you to come back to the door, sitting in the corner of my bedroom on my old guitar amp and yowling. Yowling *while* being petted. Yowling at you while you're in the shower, as she watches you bathe. Yowl, yowl, yowl.

She's a great cat beyond the constant talk, fun to play with and cute as a button. She is not yet fixed, but is not exhibiting any signs of heat that I can tell. She is going to the vet for the spaying this coming weekend, but I'm wondering if it's really going to make any difference. This seems like a personality thing.

2. And I though my cat talked a lot! My cat Becker, 14 lb ~8 years old plays those same games that your cat does minus the yowling, so don't feel alone.

My cat Tommy, 27 lb ~9 yrs old only really meows to say high or ask for more food or something.

Maybe your cat wants something that you are perpetually not giving them? :eyebrow: I have no idea what could make them yowl that much.

3. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    She doesn't constantly yowl, I think that's her only method of communication. Maybe I need to work on subtlety with her a little bit, eh?

Not to paint my cat as a terror, but she kinda is. She will only yowl, oh, say about 10 times a day. But it's loud, repetitive, and seemingly without point. Like, her food bowl is full, she's got water, and you just had her in your lap petting her for an hour.

4. If my cats hungry he will NEVER shut up. Untill you feed him of course.

Any other time he is silent.

5. wow, my cat really only yowls when he thinks no one is home, like we had left him, or if he's hungry, but its never really that loud, unless he'd upset cause we left

6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    my cat (now my sister's cat... it went with her when she moved out) used to make noise constantly. Seriously... constantly with the purring or the meowing or whatnot. It turned out she was going into heat and thats why she was always trying to get out of the house. We got her fixed and that shut her right up.
    Another thing that helped us to get her to shut up was to just ignore it. She got food when we decided to give her food... it had no correlation to her noise making. She soon learned that we didn't really care that much about what she had to say, so now she's quiet and more or less obedient.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What the heck is a yowl?

Second...if the cat is really the most annnoying animal, get rid of it. Some people and their pets. A guy at work missed two days of work this week because his dog was sick from eating raw chicken.

-Mike

8. Darrin

Darrin

Mar 18, 2003
    Music City, USA
    Sounds like your cat is in heat.

9. Two words: Squirt gun.

Rock on
    Eric

10. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Yeah, she's going to the vet, this is tiresome.

11. i taught mine early, squirt bottles work magic

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'd say she is likely in heat, but that's a guess. My cat (16 year old male, about 7 lbs) is VERY vocal, but it's just 'cuz he likes the sound of his voice, I think! ;) He will get mouthy at really odd times (3-4 am) and wake me up from time to time, but that's usually when I haven't been home much and he's feeling lonely.

Dude, I'd miss a day of work if my cat was ill, no question. He's like a child to me, and he's been with me for 16 years! I did miss a day of work about 18 months ago when my other cat passed away, there was no way I could have functioned.

Usually I agree with you, but your attitude on this one is really not something I agree with, my friend. A pet is a family member to a lot of folks, not some "accoutrement" to their life - it's like saying "Hey, if your child is really annoying, get rid of it." It's really THAT way for a lot (more than you are aware of) of people. What I find disgusting is someone that can make such a flippant committment to a pet - when it becomes inconvenient, just "get rid of it"??? Yeah, that's wonderful, let's just have MORE unwanted pets roaming about. If you have children and do this kind of thing, what kind of message are you sending about making committment and living up to your responsibility??

13. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Spray bottle is kinda pissing her off. :smug:

Sad thing that it amuses me a little bit, but I kinda feel like she deserves a little bit.

And, in regard to your comment Gard, I got the cat to help my girlfriend's loneliness when I work the late shift, and she has become like our kid. I know exactly what you're talking about. I also get the feeling I don't want to have real kids for some time.:D

14. Wow, that's an ancient cat! My cat is also a senior citizen, though he's only about 12 or so. So, I understand completely the bond that forms when you've had a pet that long.

15. Argh! My cat was screaming today! I was lying in bed going "Man... now I have to post in that thread..." I put her in bed with me and pet her but she jumped off and continued screaming. I think think she is deaf, so not even continued yelling could shut her up. :oops:

16. When my cat makes noise, it invariable means either

1: He wants to go outside. This is confirmed by him standing by the door, or following you around, and dartings towards the door when you move.

2: You just picked him up and he's in pain because you aggrivated his new open wound (probably after picking a fight with something outside that he couldn't take on.)

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I understand, I'm sorry to have touched a nerve with you Gard. This guys cat is less than a year old, so I don't think your situation is like his. I realize they are attatched to it now, but not nearly like you are to your cat.

I grew up with dogs my whole life, and my last dog that died we had for 10 years almost. I know the pain of losing a pet. A dog I had for 15 years died a few years ago as well. I was sad, I cried, I moped around the house for a few days, but I never felt any kind of loss comparable to losing a human family member.

All of the dogs I grew up with were dear parts of our family, and we treated them well. But they were always animals to us, never an actual part of the family like another human. I never remember my parents taking days off with a sick dog, putting clothes on the dog, sending it to dog hotels while we were on vacation, or ever elevating it to human-type status. It was a dog. If it was sick, we took it to the doctor if needed and let it heal in it's own dog way.

My comment to get rid of it did not imply throwing it into the street to fend for itself. Plenty of people love cats, and there are always people looking for cats.

Because I have never thought of any of my dogs as humans, it is difficult for me to answer your final question about my children. Two totally different things in my world.

-Mike

18. My cat will only yowl when it wants to be let go, like it doesn't want to snarl or hiss for fear of offending someone. But it used to yowl all the time, I bet it'll gradually calm down the yowling with time.

19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Putting them in the dryer usually works.

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    NTB taught me that vacuum cleaner works better...

What’s interesting to me is people think punishment is way to keep their pets from being annoying. I found my solution to work much better in long run. All pets like humans are going to be annoying. What makes a person to seem not annoying is ability to know when to stop. I feel that with pets its same thing.

Way I tough my cat was not yelling or doing anything. When we had company and my cat was being annoying I would simply take her and carry her over to next room and pet her for a bit. Then I would go back to people and for small amount of time I would not allow her back. Then after several minutes I would take her back and she would behave. Anytime she would do something annoying again I would do the same thing. I only put her in time out when she was being bad but never for being annoying. After several years of doing that she learned when to stop.

For example she loved to get into my parents room and start playing my fathers guitar when my parents were sleeping. The thing that made her stop was not them yelling (I don’t think she ever done that). But it was them giggling at her. Another example of her knowing when she can or can’t be annoying was when we had people over and my mom accidentally locked her in the closet. She did not make a sound for several days and finally I guess she got very hungry and started to make sounds.

Way I see it, my cat knew when to shut up and when to be annoying. She would leave for days and show up hour before we were about to drive away from my grandmas house. I really don’t think doing anything bad to animals will create a good personality in them.

It’s funny, when I left for USA I could not bring my cat over which was the saddest thing about moving away right after not seeing my relatives for many years. But interesting part about it was that every time I would talk to my relatives over the phone she would be right next to the phone. My grandparents might have not seen her for a week but she would be right there if I was on the phone. Weird huh? Happened every freaking time until she died. Its weird, when I think about what I missed out on by moving to USA, she comes right there with my family just like my dogs.