1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Catalinbread Formula 55 and 5F6

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dcbassist5, Sep 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland, Hardwire
    So I've been playing bass about 30 years now. I own about 35 OD/Dirt pedals and I've prob tried just about everything on the market at one point or another. Recently popped into a local music shop and they are now carrying Catalinbread and happened to have about 25 different pedals. I'd tried the SFT in the past and wasn't overly impressed. For reference some of my favorite pedals are the Way Huge Pork Loin, Darkglass B3K, SA Aftershock and the MXR-M80.

I use primarily Fender Custom shop and American Professional series passive Jazz Basses and for amps I'm using Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II (UK) and Eden WT550 heads. My cabs are Ashdown ABM NEO 210's and Eden XST 210's.

Now to the meat of the thread...I ended up trying out the Catalinbread Formula 55 and 5F6 pedals and left the store with both! The 55 I am using as a mild grind pedal. I have tweaked it to add some faint low grit and have gotten a nice tubey kind of compressed SVT type of sound out of it. The 5F6 I am running after it and have it dialed in as a mid gain grind. The 3 band preamp really allows for a wide range of useable tones from SUPER fat to transparent to boosted mids. The gain can really get pretty intense but I choose to use it as Grindy but not harsh. The 2 stacked sound awesome as well.

At any rate, I couldn't find any clips and/ or posts about these used on bass so I wanted to post and let everyone know that they are IMO great for bass! Definitely worth trying them out to see if they fit your application...In my case they are awesome!

FullTime Tim likes this.
  2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

A lot of pedal comapnies seem reluctant to do demos of their guitar pedals with an electric bass. Even in cases like Earthquaker's The Depths vibrato - which they flat out say has been optimized for use with any instrument.

Can't understand why they do themselves such a disservice if they have a pedal that will work with bass. Unless maybe they're worried about the levels coming in from an onboard bass preamp. You don't see many active guitars out there. But they're not all that unusual in our world.

dcbassist5 likes this.
  3. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    About all I've seen is the following, but he doesn't vary any of the controls, so we have no idea the range of tone / gain / overdrive it can provide ...

I'd like to try one also ...

4. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland, Hardwire
    I'll try to do some demos later in the weekend.

tedsalt likes this.
  5. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    Just got a 5F6 and it is one of the best I've ever played hands down. Huge fat loads of bass, detailed clarity and a nice growl. Amazing pedal.

tedsalt likes this.
  6. Thanks! I've been wondering about the 55 and 5F6.

Looking forward to the demos.