1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

catalinbread SFT bass cut issue

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ballison, Oct 21, 2010.

1. I just bought an SFT, and when the pedal is engaged, a SERIOUS ammount of low end is lost when the bass knob is at noon treble at noon. i tried diffent gain settings, different volume settings but the only acceptable sound is when I have the bass knob cranked all the way up and even then theres more low cut than I would like. I tried different basses, I tried using a battery, and I used my one spot. both made no difference. could anyone help me out here? do I have a defective unit or am I just doing something wrong? thanks!

:help:

2. SCChildress

SCChildress

Nov 16, 2008
    I use this pedal with an iamp500 and the tone controls on the pedal can ad much more bass even past 12 o'clock. Are you using it with a tube amp? When I use this pedal with my old Garnet head (6L6 output) the bass and treble knobs are wide open on the pedal for the best sound, for that amp. Can you try it with any other heads? Have your guitar player try it through his/her amp if possible? Or take it to a store a mess around with some different heads. If it sucks you should send it back and see if its a bunk pedal.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    forget about nooning pedals. hardly any of them have flat response when nooned, especially an ampeg emulating pedal. turn the knobs until they sound good to you. problem solved.

4. sell it and buy a pork loin. problem solved.

5. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    I don't know whats wrong but the SFT I had could fart out speaker with the bass maxed. No lack of bass boost in the SFT I had :confused:

6. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    This

7. Catalinbread sent me a replacement pedal within 4 days, and the new one is SUPERB! Between this, the vt bass and the markbass compresore, I've finally gotten pretty close to cranked svt tone out of my markbass LMII and Schroeder 2x12

8. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Good to hear this turned out well.

I've been curious about the SFT for a tone shaper.

9. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    radd to hear they stand behind their products.

my SFT should arrive next week some time. :hyper:

10. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Yeah that sounded defective. Mine has no problem at all with low end as you can see now with your new one.

Hehe....I did the exact opposite and couldn't be happier with my SFT.

11. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I love my Porkloin for subtle grit to feed my chorus and envelope filters.

I've been curious about the SFT for tone-shaping and as a heavy overdrive/distortion tone, something the Porkloin actually hasn't satisfied for me.

If the SFT could do subtle grit just as well it'd replace the Porkloin. My only concern is noise. The Porkloin is quiet. Quiet like it's gated quiet.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    you mean we helped you for nothing?

;)

13. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    It's all in the ear of the beholder but I'd closer describe the SFT as adding hair rather than grit. That being said what it does comes on slowly and even is pluck/pick sensitive to a degree. as seen here:

Noise wise it is quiet. It is definitely not unruly when not playing. Can be used to get quite a boost too. my volume on the pedal is set really low.

14. +1

I also started with a Pork Loin and then got my SFT. The SFT is currently on my board and the Pork Loin isn't... I suspect the PL will be going soon. It's a great pedal for sure, but the SFT sounds warmer.

We must be talking about different SFT pedals... I've found mine to be awesome at subtle grit, that's why I bought it and why it replaced the Pork Loin on my board. The gain usually stays around 9:00 - 10:30. Play light and it cleans up well, dig in a bit and I get a very tasty tube-like light grit.

LOVE my SFT!!!

5sg.

15. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I haven't actually tried the SFT myself, so I'm not speaking from observation, only desire. :D

You guys make good cases.
    The smaller footprint has always appealed to me. This is definitely going to be my next purchase.

16. jrmy

jrmy

Dec 19, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I've read that the way the SFT tone knobs work is controlling the treble and bass ends of a curve, with the mids shifting accordingly... can't remember where, unfortunately. However, as a result, you might want to crank the bass knob AND turn down the treble knob.

I've also heard that some people dig the SFT when it's powered by 18v instead of 9v. There's definitely been talk of that in the SFT threads posted here - give a search, and I'm sure you'll find 'em.

17. +1 to jrmy, that's what I do... Treble at 10:30, bass at 1:30. Check out the Catalinbread SFT Motown vid, the settings they show at :50 are almost identical to what I use.

As far as how the knobs work, I think it's more that the mids stay put. Example: if you were to cut both the bass and treble knobs, it's essentially the same as turning up a Midrange knob.

It was a tough choice to decide to get rid of the Pork Loin because it IS a great pedal. But in the end, the SFT is warmer and I like it's flavor of overdrive better. So... it'll go up for sale when I post a bunch of pedals in a Christmas sale in a week or two.

Robertron, be sure to post thoughts if/when you check out the SFT. When I picked it up, I wondered if it could really live up to the Talkbass hype. It did. :)

5sg.

18. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    I never get the idea that "I can't get a sound I like out of this (pedal, amp, pre, whatever) unless I have it set (X) way...". The only thing that matters is if the sound you want is in there. If you have to turn some knobs to get the sound you want, then SO WHAT??? Of course if you have to crank knobs and STILL don't get where you wnt to go, then that's another issue and maybe that piece of gear ain't for you. And as Jimmy said above, forget about setting things at 12:00. That's just and arbitrary setting on MOST amps, and I've NEVER found ANY piece of gear that I didn't need to turn some knobs...unless you count my bass, which has it's controls bypassed most of the time...

-JV

19. Well said, jv.

I've used quite a few settings with my SFT (including an almost-fuzz sound for Dance to the Music from Sly & the Family Stone), but I do keep coming back to the settings I mentioned because that's what I want. ;)

5sg.

20. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Hmm. Usually I got the good low-grit OD out of my old SFT and I get the nice full-on natural sounding overdrive from the Pork Loin.

Either way...I sold my SFT and bought a Phat Phuk B. It'll arrive soon enough :)