1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Catalinbread SFT demo clips and first impressions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rcubed, Oct 3, 2009.

1. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Since I had nothing going on tonight I figure I'd get some clips of the new Catalinbread SFT recorded.

Both clips were recorded with my Rickenbacker 4003 bass. It has a low output so it's going to have a different sound than an active bass will. I'll get clips of my active 5-string Carvin bass at a later date so you can here what that sounds like.

Clip direct from bass to pedal to MBox2 Mini: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8172103

Amped clip using my Acoustic 370 head into an Emperor 2x15 cab using my Carvin tube mic: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8172102

Both clips start and end with my clean tone. The direct clip has me switching between clean and effected tone throughout. I tried to capture as many of the sounds this pedal will produce as best I could.

The SFT can be used as either a clean or dirty boost. There is plenty of gain on tap with this thing. The pedal can take 9V to 18V. I don't have an 18V adapter so I don't know how much of a difference that will make. Even with the bass turned down on the pedal, there isn't much loss of lowend. It seems like the SFT will stay true to the sound of your instrument. It's also touch sensitive, which I tried to capture in one of the clips.

2. thanks....

you just saved me $160.00 bucks

I'm sticking with my Sparkle Drive!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm digging what I'm hearing so far, but one thing that I really like about the VT is how much control over the mids you have. What's your impression about the SFT's mids? To be honest, I heard it go head to head with an old B-15N in one of their Youtube vids, and I thought it was shy on the mids compared to the B-15N. But it also could have been that Trace amp they used, which I thought was a little mid shy as well.

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Mids aren't there much at all. Maybe in the lower mids, a little bit, but the growly mids that push you through aren't there, IMO.
    A mids knob, like on the VT, would make this the perfect OD for me in a heartbeat.

Thanks for putting more clips up! It was nice to hear some settings shuffled through on the recordings. It gave a good demo to the sounds one can attain from it!

5. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I assume they are using a Baxandall tone stack in this pedal. In my amp clip, I have the bass and treble on the amp at noon with a slight boost of mids for reference. I have no idea how it would sit in the mix as I'm not in a band.

There's always the option of modding the circuit, adding a boost switch or pot. Here's switch mod: http://amps.zugster.net/images/articles/tonestacks/tone-stack-mid-boost.gif

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    thanks for the clips!

7. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    haha, I don't know enough about circuits to do that. I need step by step directions!

8. chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Apr 27, 2005
    manteca, ca
    just turn the bas and treble knobs down, that'll bring the mids forward. bandaxall and fender two knob tone circuit scoop the mids somewhat, so to bring them forward you need to pull the knobs down.

9. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Except, to get more than low-gain sounds out of the SFT, you have to crank the EQ.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm a fan of Baxandall controls for sure. Maybe it was just the setting they had that made the mids sound weak. Still sounds like a way better pedal than most, but doesn't make me want to sell my VT.

11. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Hmm... Seems like you still could with the gain turned almost all the way down and the volume fairly cranked. I haven't played around with it enough though.

12. Smurf-o-Deth

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    With gain maxed, bass maxed, and treble at about 2:00 (anymore and it got too harsh for me), there still wasn't enough distortion to get me where I wanted. I'm talking roaring distortion, not a volume boost.

13. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You said "low-gain" in your previous post. I'm confused.

14. Smurf-o-Deth

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    I said "more than low gain," as in beyond the realm of the low gain, or in excursion past the low gain range. High gain, in more plain language. Sorry if my parlance was less than clear.

15. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    wat

:smug:

16. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Gotcha. My brain saw 'low gain' and missed 'more than'. With the gain cranked and both bass and treble at 2:00 and with my germanium boost in front can get some fairly high gain sounding tones.

But have to say I have little experience with overdrives/distortions. I'm more of a fuzz guy but when I put my modded DS-1 on my board I've come to like them more.

17. sutarappa

sutarappa

Feb 26, 2007
    TX
    cool. i like it. i dig the nuances of compression in the drive. sounds smooth and organic.

with eq, suppose i'd rather have a mid control and not need it than just a two band... :)

thanks for the clips!

18. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    subscribed as i definitely have to hear these clips soon.

19. catalinbread

catalinbread

Dec 17, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Soul Proprietor: Catalinbread
    Even then it will still behave like a Baxandall... Crank the treble and the bass and you scoop mids. Nature of the SFT and the nature of every amp we compared to from SVTs to my '64 B15 to 70s V4.

This is counter-intuitive I realize... But don't be afraid bassplayers, you won't emasculate your lows and you will find your slot in a full band mix. Roll back your bass knob a bit noon or even below a touch, raise your treble to 1 or 2 o'clock... Keep in mind doing this you wont NEED as much on the gain knob.

Also the SFT was not intended to be a high gain amp sound as the amps we were grocking are not high gain. However, we gave it a bit more gain than we found out of any of our development demo amps. We designed it to take to stacking so don't neglect your trusty fuzz!

Have fun dudes!
    :D

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Mr. Catalinbread has a point. Baxandall controls do rule on bass and give me as much control over my tone on my 64 B-15N as I'll ever need (I see you have excellent taste in amps, BTW ;) ). I will reserve judgment on this pedal until I can get my hands on one (BTW, I live 20 minutes from Bass Central, so if they carry it, let me know).