1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Catalinbread SFT into power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JerryTheFly, Nov 19, 2018.

1. JerryTheFly

JerryTheFly

Apr 2, 2016
    Do you guys think this will work? There's a buttload of volume and gain on tap, so I figured it should be good enough to feed a power amp a strong enough signal, and if not at 9v, then certainly at 18v. My main concern is matching impedance. Will using my ART reamp box wired in reverse change the impedance/level from instrument to line and be the appropriate impedance to feed my VHT 2/90/2 (I believe the SFT has an output of 15k and I'm not sure what the VHT input is)? Or there's the Ebtech line level shifter. Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!

2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Depending on the power amp, you need the pedal to deliver somewhere between .775 - 1.25 Volt output.
    I don't think that there would be an impedance issue.
    I would call Catlinbread as they have probably been asled this before.

3. Shirime

Shirime

Nov 25, 2018
    So did you try it and what were your results?
    I have a similar application in mind so your experience would be helpful

JerryTheFly likes this.
  4. JerryTheFly

JerryTheFly

Apr 2, 2016
    It actually worked amazingly, I compared it next to a EHX Batallion preamp pedal and the sft held up wonderfully. Sounds like a cranked V4 with 98 vht tube Watts behind it. Really, really dope actually. I'm going to get a Dirty Little Secret MKIII for the other side.

Shirime likes this.
  5. Harry Champion

Harry Champion

Jul 24, 2007
    Auckland, NZ
    affiliated with Crowther Audio
    #zombiethread, but which version SFT are you using @JerryTheFly? The Stones/Stoner switch version?

Are you still using this setup? How's it working out for you?

6. JerryTheFly

JerryTheFly

Apr 2, 2016
    Yeah, the newest version with the stones/stoner. I use this live and for demo recording (straight into the interface) and it's badass. I recently started running it at 18V and it's even better! Sounds great paired with the DLS, but the SFT's output is so high, I had to get a TC Spark and dime it for the DLS to match it. Haha Such a badass pedal.

Harry Champion likes this.
  7. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    I know the question has been resolved, but an ART Tube MP preamp makes a great extra gain stage to push a power amp with a pedal or preamp that doesn't quite have enough juice on its own.