1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Catalinbread SFT, new version with more gain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by karla684, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Don't know if this is old news, but I couldn't find anything when searching.

Just wanted to let you know that there is a new version of the SFT from Catalinbread. The new version have a button to switch between "Stones" mode and "Stoner" mode. The latter being higher gain mode not available in the previous version. I own the previous version and like it a lot (especially at 18V). Time will tell if I need to upgrade.

Catalinbread - SFT Foundation Overdrive

Only guitar demos on YouTube as of yet:

Cheers,
    Kalle

alecduncan likes this.
  2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I only liked mine with the gain set low anyway, so a higher gain version doesn't appeal to me (for bass use anyway)!

If you're looking to upgrade yours though, just trade it in for a Bearfoot Blueberry like I did! ;)

3. I've tried the Blueberry and found it too dark for me. Otoh it might work better with the band I'm currently in.

I also used to set the SFT to mild break-up when digging in, but nowadays the Barbershop have that position. So the SFT gets cranked (which I truly enjoy). I'm not sure I will put up the money to upgrade, but I'm sure interested to try the new flavor of SFT!

/Kalle

4. On bass, I don't think I've ever thought that my SFT needed more clean gain. If I did, I can easily do that with any clean boost in front of this pedal...that said, on high grit settings it's pretty fuzzed up and chunky sounding and I far prefer the lighter grit tones from this pedal.

5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I think the additional gain setting was a concession to the guitarists that are using the SFT. I don't really see it being all that useful to most bass players.

On a positive note, having a newer version come out might put a few more original units up on the used market for very reasonable prices courtesy of those folks who want to upgrade. I'm keeping an eye out since I wouldn't mind getting a second one as a spare if the price were right. :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  6. Hallic

Hallic

Sep 2, 2012
    I agree the SFT was already really really good for bass. But more tonal option in a box, im not saying no to that development :D