1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Catalinbread SFT Old vs. New graphic?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by meursault42, Jan 20, 2012.

1. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Anyone have both the old and new version of the SFT? Have you done an A/B test to see if there are any noticeable differences? I got a replay back from Mike at Catalinbread saying this:

"The newer graphic model probably isn't drastically different from the one previous version, but we are always doing minor component tweaks and things to improve the sound quality and playing feel of our stuff when we make new discoveries."

I've got the older version, and think it's a great pedal, very versatile. But you know how it goes, it's always tempting to want to have the "latest greatest" version.

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I doubt it would be different enough to rebuy it. Then again, I have not used the new one so take my opinion lightly.

3. as i understand it Catalinbread recently changed the design on all their pedals due to an improved screening process they gained access to, as the older pedals using a "sticker" method were suceptable to air bubbles under the graphics over time. while components may change slightly based on availability i don't think the graphics process change coincided with any internal redesign of all their products.

that said, i'm glad i got an older design Pareidolia, as i think the new one looks like the easter bunny yaked on it while tripping. (i'm sure it still sounds fantastic though).
    [​IMG]
    :rollno:

4. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    ^ aaaaHahah. Ah don' care who y'ar. Tha's funny righ'thar.

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I asked them about it too. I hate the look of the new one, but still curious to hear the difference!

6. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair

Jan 28, 2011
    France
    Omg! This had me rolling. :D

I honestly don't remember any boutique brand making such a drastic change in visual identity. I understand the reliability/longevity issue, but why not just redo the "classic" designs?
    (Anyway...don't wanna derail this thread since it's about the components/sound... but this was just too funny to resist).

7. Luis Arturo

Luis Arturo

Oct 21, 2005
    Washington DC
    The old graphic design of the SFT -the one with the white knobs and the diamond tolex design- was BEAUUUTIFUL; much nicer than the new ones (the plain blue one and the one with the ampeg logo imitation). In fact --sorry to say--but the new ones are outright ugly :spit:. A backward step, IMO. :scowl:

That is why even though I think this is the best overdrive pedal in the market and the one I need to have, I am trying to find a used one with the old graphics. I am not buying any of the new ones, no matter what.

Phyzzbin likes this.
  8. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Another case of logic over emotion... :ninja:

9. markxander

markxander

Jan 15, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    I think the one with the ampeg logo on it is unbelievably cool looking

I need another overdrive like I need a bigger pedalboard to fit more overdrives on it, but damn if I don't want one.

10. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    I don't know about old vs. new. However, I do own a blue-cased SFT and a white-cased SFT (both with the blue checkered sticker on the front). According to Catalinbread, these pedals are identical internally. However, there's definitely a difference in tone between the two. I asked Catalinbread about the difference, and they said that it was probably due to small variations in the individual components. Both pedals sound great, one's just a little brighter than the other.

My $0.02 is that if you A/B'ed an old SFT and a new one, you'd probably be hearing the difference between the two individual pedals as much as the difference between old and new.

11. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Now we're talking! Thanks for the good info Charley!