1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Catalinbread SFT running on 18V

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Volume4, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    I just got a Dunop ECB-04 18V adapter in the mail to use with my SFT....which I am still loving like crazy.

My initial reaction......

It's the way to go, just made a great pedal even better.

More punch and more headroom...... I highly recommend this if you have one.

:bassist:

2. paul_s

paul_s

Jan 12, 2008
    Winnipeg, MB
    +100

It's worthwhile to run the SFT at 18v...along with any other pedal that can run 18v. It's like you could run it in 9v, but it's just better all around in 18v.

3. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I can't do 18V with my setup but I've thought about running teh SFT and the Semaphore on 12V to see if I could hear a difference.

4. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Supporting Member Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    Doesn't the higher power supply voltage make more difficult saturate/clip the unit?

5. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    Yes, I ran mine on 12V and it sounded pretty neat. As far as I can remember a little "opener". So 18V would be definitely worth a try. :)

6. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    With the gain cranked, it's still very hairy but with a little more clarity....in a good way.

7. I just tried this and have to agree... it made a great pedal better.

8. i'm looking forward to Godlyke releasing their new variable voltage Power Pump converter so i can try my SFT on 18v.

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I see they are bringing out one called the 'Iso Pump' which just looks like the same old Power Pump (which was nigh on impossible to get hold of in the UK). I'm gonna phone Diago this week and try and get a custom made 9v-18v adaptor with an SFT friendly right-angled tip.

10. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to keep it all in one place.

I recorded this video recently with my SFT running at 18v.
    I really like this pedal, and it has substantially less noise than my Sansamp bddi when I have it set to my liking.

11. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    That sounds great! I got rid of mine because it compressed too much and "farted" out at higher gain. Just needed more juice, I reckon.

12. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Thanks. Even at 18 volts, I noticed the conpressed signal when the gain was cranked, and this was exacerbated with the flats, but wasn't as noticable with rounds.

13. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The new version in that video sounds very different to the original - I have both. The new one is much brighter sounding and less farty.

14. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Did you play both versions with 18v? Just curious.

15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Don't like running mine at 18V, it's too loud and the breakup is better at 9V. (New version, active basses).
    YMMV, I'm sure.

16. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    It is definitely louder...may have to revisit the tone with 9v. Maybe I'll put a battery in it so I can do more of a side by side comparison.

17. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Yup, have them both hooked up at 18v at the moment.

18. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    I just got the Dunlop 18v power supply. I thought the pedal sounded great with 9v, then I plugged in the 18v and oh man did it come alive! I think it sounds like cr4p on 9v now. Sounds even better when I use my effects loop and can blend in the dry tone. I was also able to dial in the tone knobs to get a pretty true to original tone from the bass. Sounds great!

19. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    +1. same here (with active or passive basses). to me, the distortion sounds a lot better at 9V.

20. keeping the thread alive!
    Just tried 18v with my sft and agree -- it makes the tone fatter and punchier and the distortion tighter and less farty. Definite improvement for my purposes and tastes. All of the dials need to be adjusted from what I was used to at 9v, though, not just the volume and gain but even the eq controls.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014