Catch 22 bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by HunsBassist, May 10, 2005.

1. HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I know probably nobody here has heard of them but does anyone know what kind of bass Josh Ansley or Pat Kays uses? Josh Ansley played on Catch 22's first album, Keasbey Nights, and Pat Kays played on all of Catch 22's latter albums, Alone In The Crowd, Washed Up And Through The Ringer, Dinosaur Sounds and Catch 22 Live. I've seen them live twice and I've never been able to figure out what bass Pat uses. And Josh left the band before I heard about them so I've never seen him live. Does anyone know who this band is, let alone what basses were used?
  2. HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Josh had such a prime fretless sound and Pat had such a good low overall tone. This is gonna kill me if I don't find out.
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Last time I saw them was with their bassist who was dubbed "Mingus" I don't know which one that is (if it is either). But he looked like he was playing an F-Bass.
  4. HeresToLife88

May 12, 2005
    Not sure what either played but im pretty sure Josh could make anything sound good. Not too sure bout other guy, Catch 22 went down hill after Keasby.
  5. HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I disagree that with what you said, other than the fact that Josh could make anything sound good, and that Keasbey totally rocked!!!! I think that the band's sound just changed when they lost Jamie (Egan), Josh (Ansley), and especially Tomas (Kalnoky). I still like their new stuff, but I agree that their songs will never have the lyrical flair and passion Kalnoky brought to the table. But I understand how you would think that they've gone downhill since they've changed a lot. Do you still follow Tomas in Streetlight Manifesto?

and by the way, "Mingus" is Pat Kays' nickname. an F-Bass, that's interesting. I'll look into it.
  6. avb4vks

Dec 19, 2004
    Ok, on Keasbey Nights, Josh used some kind of Ibanez TR series Fretless model...then on the Streetlight album he used a Warwick 5 string but that wasn't his. Then live for a while he played his ESP-LTD B105 I think. I know its one of the B models. Then he sold it and got a 5 string Musicman Bongo.
    I miss Josh being in Streetlight...
  7. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I had to look at your profile. Figures you're young. I hate to break it to you, despite that maybe most 14 year olds haven't heard of them, Catch 22 is a pretty popular band.
  8. Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I don't know what kind of bass he plays, but I heard a recording and that guy has monster chops!
  9. Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I think most 14 year olds know who they are... That music style is pretty popular in that age range.
  10. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Josh is currently touring with a band called HURT.

I saw them a couple weeks ago in Virginia. Josh totally rocked!!! The first time I saw him with HURT, he was playing an orangeish 5-string Bongo, but last time he had a 5-string Fender.