1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Catch-all modulation

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by megadan, Mar 26, 2009.

1. I've been hacking together some designs for my first board, and I realized that I have no modulation effects to speak of. Way too many dirt pedals, though :D

I'd like to even it up a little bit... I don't have a lot of real estate left, so I'm wondering if there is a pedal out there that can cover a couple areas of modulation (trem, phase, envelope, flange, etc.) in a single unit.

Obviously it doesn't have to cover all those areas (though I am partial to trem as my modulation, I haven't found much use for chorus/phaser type effects). I'm more interested in weird noises and knob twiddling than in perfect simulations of all effects.

I play in a very effects heavy band (analog synth and two guitarists with major pedal boards) so "subtle" things like chorus pedals or the like are really going to be a waste on my board.

I'd like go somewhere interesting. Any thoughts?

Oh, here's one of several layouts for my current board:
    pedalboardbuild3.

In case it's not clear, one Bass and one Nintendo DS (with Korg DS-10) are the inputs, output is a single channel amp (GK1001RB)

Bass --> TU-2 --> Volume pedal --> Bassdrive --> Bigg Muff --> Polish Love OD --> Boss PS-2 Output --> DOD A/B Box A --> Amp; PS-2 Tuner Out* --> Passive in HAO Rust Ride --> A/B Box B; DS-10 --> Active in Rust Ride

*Boss PS-2 tuner output: if you didn't know, this strangle little unit (pitch shifter and delay) outputs a weird, synthy signal unrelated to the input that follows the pitch knob in shifting mode, intended to go to a tuner so you can track the notes you're pitch shifting. When bypassed it should work as a regular tuner out (but it might not, I have several ways of putting the board together and I haven't actually done this one yet, it's just the coolest theoretical one ;)).

The Rust Ride may be on it's way out, so I'd like to replace it with a mod unit (stereo in would be nice, but not a requirement, I have several ways of laying it out, I can just the A/B at the front end to switch between Bass and DS).

Budget is probably under $250CDN ($200US).

Thanks in advance!

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I think the TC Electronic Nova Mod and Line 6 MM4 should both do what you want and fit in your budget.

3. Thanks, I'll check those out.
    Also thinking about one of the memory man models I'll have to do a search here for more info.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Can we get samples of what you do with the NintenDS ?

5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Hmmm....I know that its a filter....but a line 6 FM4 may be up your alley!

6. I will certainly try, I'm in the middle of moving right now so it might take me a while to get setup. I haven't had much chance to fool with it for real yet, but it makes some pretty funky noises, and the built in effects are actually half decent.

7. The Korg-DS is SO much fun.

Have you played around with a DS title called ElectroPlankton?

It's not so much a synth like the Korg, but it has SUCH awesome sonds you can create via the stylus....

Electroplankton -> Akai Headrush -> Combo Amp = a very happy Me and a very entertained audience. I do some drone/ambient solo stuff with my bass and something else. The "something else" i switched recently from a synth keyboard to using the DS. First with the Korg, and now with the Electroplankton. So... Much... FUN!!

As for an all in one Modulation... the Line6 modulation pedal thingamajig is pretty interesting. My room mate has one and he seems to like it a lot...

8. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...Roger Linn Adrenalinn III...Eventide Modfactor...T.C. Electronics Modulator...Digitech EX-7...

9. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    EHX Worm - easily the least hyped do-all mod pedal, now with expression!

Park a wah filter or phase.

Small footprint. Not expensive. Lots of awesome.

trem, vibrato, mod.wah, phaser.

If you're looking for boutique stuff, the Eventide ModFactor's probably for you...

...but try the worm. Great pedal.

10. I was looking at the Worm and the Wiggler, I will try and demo one of them if I can. Next day off I'm going to try as many as I can at local shops (no boutique stuff around here though)

11. I still haven't arrived at a happy place for modulation yet.
    Tried out the ModFactor, it's pretty awesome but it does almost too much, and is pretty expensive and large. Same with the Line 6. The Worm was cool but VERY noisy.

Is there anything out there that will do flange/tremolo/vibrato, but in a simple, small analog box? Or something like the Empress tremolo but (way!) cheaper?

12. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The problem is that even though flange, trem, and vibrato are all traditionally controlled by an oscillator that makes them go wowowowowow, the actual effect (signal processing) parts of their circuits are very different from each other. IOW the only way to get all three effects in a single box, all analog, would be to essentially stuff the guts of three different pedals into one box... a box about the size of the Line6 and Eventide digital units. :p

There are lots of cheap tremolos. When you say "like the Empress", what is it about the Empress that you like/want different from what other tremolos provide?