1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Catch and improvement of the day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Swaim, Jan 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Yesterday a friend of mine gave me this Squire made in China. It did not have a pickguard but everything else. The body was "moldy" from sitting in a humid place for the past several years. I cleaned it, polished it, put the following in it:
    USA pickup from 2005 Precision
    CTS 250 pots
    Orange .47 cap
    Switchcraft output jack
    New Tort USA pickguard
    Black chrome knobs

Some might say why put this much money in a cheap bass made in China. My answer, why do we do anything in life? Hopefully to make things better than it was. Plus I had all the extra parts.
    20180116_105847.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    why do this? because you were given a a rescue, and you aren't an animal. I applaud you. Looks great too. The blue and tort is an underrated combo. (if tort is really every underrated)

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That "regular" blue actually looks great with tort.

Great report. However, you left out the most important part. (We can see how good it looks so.....) How does it sound and play?

dukeorock and Wisebass like this.
  4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Modding is about FUN :hyper::hyper::hyper:

...and best mods come for free! What else would you do with these parts? Keep them in a safe? :laugh:

They are not lost where they are now! :thumbsup: Use what you have and enjoy!!!!

Happy NBD!!!

greetings

Wise(b)ass

JRA, Malak the Mad and Bass Man Dan like this.
  5. Eric Swaim

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    The bass sounds great. I will make a video and post it in the next couple of hours. I do all the work to my basses so I know its going to play well.

A teacher I had 32 + years ago in Hammond Louisiana plays one of these in his New Orleans gigs, not because he has too, because he wants too. He has Alembics, old Fender Precisions and Jazz Basses etc. Look him up on YouTube, David Hyde Bassist. Its a black Squier in some of the shots.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    JRA, Malak the Mad and Bass Man Dan like this.
  6. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Good work! I just bought a red one off of craigslist. It has fantastic action and plays great. I replaced the pickups with some I had laying around and it sounds really good. These are solid platforms from everything I can tell.

Wisebass and dukeorock like this.
  7. The bass looks great :thumbsup:

8. Eric Swaim

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Video of the Fender Squier Precision. Not a great video but you get the idea.

Malak the Mad and dukeorock like this.
  9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Nice reclamation project! :thumbsup:

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

aren't you the lucky one! congratulations on a nice score and a new instrument! :thumbsup: (looks great, BTW!)

dukeorock likes this.