Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cathedral Fans (I guess this means Smash): Question

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I own Supernatural Birth Machine and The Hopkins EP, and Dorians voice is a bit... blown out. Singing for Napalm death probably did a majority of this damage (though I haven't heard any of Scum). He sounds really on with Probot.

The music is really awesome, but I find myself a little annoyed with some of the vocal parts. Is this true to all Cathedral? Or did he lose his voice in 96? It's strange, I really like his vocals on Probot. He doesn't have to sing anything really high though I suppose.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Bumped... so that Smash can see it...

:eyebrow:

3. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I'm not really too sure about Dorian's voice. But I'm a big fan of Cathedral as well. My favorite album of their's is Caravan Beyond Redemption.

4. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Cathedral has been described as a 'Black Sabbath Clone'. So I guess Dorian thought that mediocre singing would fit such a description.

I do not agree with the comparison though.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Whoa! Smash isn't the only one who replied!

On a few tracks off SBM Dorrian seems to really be straining to hit the high stuff. :meh: I can't think of which songs off hand.

I heard one of their albums in the store... I don't know which one, the album cover was very unlike all their others (fantasy art painting), it was very grim looking. But the production/vocals were very cool. Anyone know what I'm talking about? They don't have all their album covers on allmusic.com.