1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cathedral Fans (I guess this means Smash): Question

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I own Supernatural Birth Machine and The Hopkins EP, and Dorians voice is a bit... blown out. Singing for Napalm death probably did a majority of this damage (though I haven't heard any of Scum). He sounds really on with Probot.

The music is really awesome, but I find myself a little annoyed with some of the vocal parts. Is this true to all Cathedral? Or did he lose his voice in 96? It's strange, I really like his vocals on Probot. He doesn't have to sing anything really high though I suppose.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Bumped... so that Smash can see it...

:eyebrow:

3. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I'm not really too sure about Dorian's voice. But I'm a big fan of Cathedral as well. My favorite album of their's is Caravan Beyond Redemption.

4. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Cathedral has been described as a 'Black Sabbath Clone'. So I guess Dorian thought that mediocre singing would fit such a description.

I do not agree with the comparison though.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Whoa! Smash isn't the only one who replied!

On a few tracks off SBM Dorrian seems to really be straining to hit the high stuff. :meh: I can't think of which songs off hand.

I heard one of their albums in the store... I don't know which one, the album cover was very unlike all their others (fantasy art painting), it was very grim looking. But the production/vocals were very cool. Anyone know what I'm talking about? They don't have all their album covers on allmusic.com.