1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cathodes in Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by saxnbass, Dec 22, 2006.

1. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Is this possible? I want to put cold cathodes in the sides of my speaker cab for a cool effect. I want it behind the grille on the sides (not top and bottom). How would I do it and where would I power it from? Also, an on/off switch would be great.

2. do you mean leds?

3. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    No, Cold Cathodes. Close to LEDs

4. Gothax

Gothax

Apr 22, 2006
    Heerlen, Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Jim Dunlop strings
    CCFL's, the ones that are also being used for computer case-modding (aka neon bars)

5. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Yep, those.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yes, you can.

I use a UV cold cathode to light up my Trace RAH350SMX head when it is rackmounted.

If you want to use the ones that the PC guys use (as I did), you will need to pickup a 12v powersupply (wallwart type) with enough amperage to handle the lights you are running. I bought a 1 amp (1000 milliamps) version at Radio Shack for about $27. It is way overkill but I can add tons of lights later or use it for other purposes.

The hard part is routing the wires so that the install doesn't look like crap. Good luck!

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Don't get fried. The CCFL requires high voltage to operate.

8. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks. Do you have pics of your Trace?

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Here is the best pic I have right now. I used two UV CC tubes. I found out that the clear plastic holder tubes actually blocks quite a bit of light. I plan to mod the tubes down the road to make them work even better. BTW, the unit I made is mounted above the head unlike traditional Trace lighting setups.

MyRigLights.