1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Catonsville, Maryland?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Johnny StingRay, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Johnny StingRay

Johnny StingRay

Nov 24, 2006
    Visiting Baltimore area next week and have a reservation at the Ramada Inn in Catonsville.........................any information about that area?

2. Wear body armor.

Peace,
    Greg

3. Johnny StingRay

Johnny StingRay

Nov 24, 2006
    I am a Detroit high school teacher so yes, I do have a set of Kevlar and will definitely bring it with me.

Couldn't pass up the $40 per night price................now I know why it is so cheap.

:(

4. Visit Bill's Music House. My dad and Bill were buddies in HS (and were in a band together). Bill, by the way, is a bass player.

5. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That area is so-so. A lot of traffic from not so good parts. If you're going to inner harbor DO NOT take route 40 or go through the city, Baltimore lately hasn't been very friendly to strangers.

Couple of things to see relatively close to that hotel:
    Bills Music house - prices are not good, but they have interesting selection of new and used gear. If you're into acoustic guitars there is a great bluegrass guitar shop on the same street.
    Historic Ellicott city - couple of nice bars/restaurants within walking distance from each other.

6. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    I've lived in Catonsville for almost 20 years. I would agree with most of what's been said in this thread so far. Appalachian Bluegrass is the acoustic music shop on Frederick Road. There is also Guitar Exchange, in addition to Bill's Music. Not sure of your travel dates, but check out Catonsville org and Lurman.com for local concerts and events.
    If you're a beer fan, be sure to pay a visit to The Judges Bench, in historic Ellicott City. Feel free to PM if I can help with anything else and have fun.

7. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    You can take Route 40. Just don't stop to get a soda or something at the convenience store. Kind of interesting how a somewhat nice area will turn into total ghetto one block later.

8. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    There are nasty parts of Baltimore just like the Detroit area. You know what to do.