1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cats + amp = ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by squidmaster, Feb 25, 2008.

1. squidmaster

squidmaster

Feb 1, 2008
    Am I the only one that has problems keeping cats from clawing expensive carpet covered amps/cabs? Both my cats prefer sharpening their claws on my carpet covered carvin combo, theyve managed to detach a piece of the carpetting even :bawl: So far my only solution has been to place a blanket on top when its not in use... next will be pink claw covers for both of them. Theyre boys ;)

So anyone else have bad kitties?

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Not since I got rid of everything carpeted. Smells better too.

Always go with Duratex or LineX lined cabs and amps. Tolex is good too for stopping the scratching but is not durable.

3. My cats are declawed.

4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Try some bitter apple spray from a pet shop. Kitties don't like that stuff

5. xanderdavis

xanderdavis

Feb 24, 2008
    New Jersey
    my friend has two Gk cabs that are scratched to pieces haha

6. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hmmmm ... I have an old cab that I sort of wanted to de-carpet and apply a coating to. Maybe I should just get a cat and lock it in the room with the cab for a few days? (with food water and litter box, of course!)

7. cat + amp = camp?

You coming out, or do you just like the outdoors?

8. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Give them something appropriate to claw (scratching post/kittie condo etc) and rub catnip on it.

If that doesn't work, place them in an animal crate directly in front of the combo. Turn it up & let it rip. Usually works the first time.

You can tell if it had the appropriate effect if they walk a respectful didtance from the cab.

The bitter apple spray works but smells nasty to humans too.

9. i like plan b the best. not that i dont like animals, but it always seems that once the animal knows to respect "object" they tend to leave it alone

10. SSofMind

SSofMind Guest

Jul 15, 2007
    The Sunflower State
    yeah one of my friends let me borrow his 8x10 cab and it got left at our drummers house. it got tore up so bad. i think the cat had something personal against the amp. most cats scratch up just the bottom where they can reach, they actually do it to sharpen their claws and stuff. but this was even tore up at the top corners, meaning the cat woulda had to jump on the piano then onto the cab...damn cats.

11. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Three choices:

1) get rid of the carpet on the cabinet
    2) purchase or make a cover
    3) lemon or citrus type of spray on the carpet (unsure what it would do, but use it for cables mostly - cat's cannot stand it)

12. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    How about simply putting the cabs away where the cats can't get at them?

As for "plan B," it may scare the heck out of your cat but they may not necessarily associate the sound with the cab. As for bitter apple, it's for dogs - not for cats - they're clawing it - not chewing on it.

I have eight cats, believe me I know...

13. 4) Get a dog and train it to guard your gear.

14. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I just use the 1st addtion to the golden rule. 22 shells are 3 cents a piece. Cats live outside, people live inside. I have cows too. They live outside, with the cats.

15. a bit harsh, but to each theyre own

16. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    These are pretty effective:

[​IMG]

17. I had a cab that one of the cats peed on.

I got a few whiffs of it every once in a while- and then one day, at a festival, my stuff was in the car on a hot summer day with the windows rolled up... That was rough.

18. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    FYI for those who don't know what declawing is exactly and are considering it: declawing is not just cutting claws off, it is amputation of a bone and all the attached tendons, etc. on each toe. It is severely painful for cats, and can cause lots of problems for them and for you in the future. There are humane solutions. Even if you don't care about your animal's well-being, a declawed animal can cause you enough headaches (because of health and behaviour problems) to negate the "convenience".

http://www.pawproject.com/html/faqs.asp

I don't mean for this to be a debate, I just thought I'd put this here in case anybody was thinking about doing this and thought, as many do, that it is a benign procedure.

19. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I've done the blanket thing myself.My old Eden 210XLT cabs got it pretty good before I figured it out.It's a pisser when you get a cabnet in perfect condition and have it tore up.I'm now forced to get Dr Bass cabinets or others with the spray on lining if I want one in my bedroom to practice with.This is not bad because I love thoses cabinets anyway.

20. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I'm also against the declawing avenue. I can recarpet my cab anyday. But for now, to avoid the problem, I have a sheet draping over it. Seems to work just fine.