1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Caught Between Nickel and Steel...Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Altitude, Mar 18, 2006.

1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Hey Will, you have jammed with Maynard Ferguson, man that is too kewl. I know that had to be a blast. Way to go bro.

2. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Indeed it was. He did some clinics in Austin at one point, and I got to be in the band. Very cool. That cat can play some high notes.

3. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    +1 on these

I use the tapercore burners med-light and they are working fine for me so far on my G&L for slap/tap, finger style and pick. I use the steel tapercores on my other 2 basses and they rock too. The steel ones, however, are a lot rougher feeling than the nickels which are both bright and smooth IMO.

4. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    +1. I'm using these right now. If you decide to go with nickels, i'd recommend these. Although I'd also like to try sunbeams. Anyone have any opinions on these?

5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

BBML-5-TC's The D,A,E & B strings are taper core / .045-.125
    I just rcvd mine from juststrings.com $36.67 shipped!

6. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    How about Stickel?

Naa, all kidding aside, try GHS B52's.

7. I'm mostly a flatwound player, but I recently put a set of D'Addario Chrome Flat mediums on my Lakland there's plenty of meat and zing. Plus, they have a nice smooth polished surface.

8. I haven't found a roundwound that matches Roto 66's. Yes they are rough on fingers & frets. Work your way up to playing them for a long time. The LaBella flats (great sound) on my p feel almost sticky when I switch from the Roto-strung j. I don't know how to describe it but I am so used to the rounds that the flats kinda "grab" my fingertips. Get tough, use Roto's! ;)

9. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yeah, they sound good, but the last set I tried went dead after one night. Seriously.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yeah, I've played the B52s as well. I would second this suggestion...

MM

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

As noted previously, Sadowsky Bright Nickels are appropriately named... they are amazingly bright. And Sadowsky steels aren't as rough as Rotosounds.

I'll also vouch for the Elixir Nanowebs. Here's my usual testimonial: yes, Elixirs cost twice as much, but they pay for themselves. Last summer, in the space of just over a month, I played three outdoor gigs in 90 degree heat and 90 percent humidity. I sweat a lot in these conditions! Any set of uncoated rounds would've died within just one of those gigs, but the Elixirs still sounded great after all three.

Elixirs eventually die from metal fatigue and fret wear, but the coating protects them from sweat and oil and gunk that kills strings quickly.

As noted, they do have a bit of a different tone than uncoated rounds, mostly in the treble frequencies. But it works for me for fingerstyle, pickstyle, and slap.

12. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You might try the D'Adarrio Nickel r/w EXRs. They're coated and pretty zingy like stainless yet have the smooth feel of nickels. ...a bit pricey but I really liked them. Unfortunately I just picked up a 35" scale Lakland JO5 and they don't fit.:crying:

13. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Try GHS Infinity Steels . They are steel wound but coated in a thin red coating. They feel good but still retain some zing.

14. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    are the rotosound monel jazz flatwound 77 nickel or steel?

15. +5 on the d'addario EXL (nickel) roundwound

i also play funk, but just fingerstyle, no slapping. I liked these strings a lot better than the DR Low-Riders. They come in light to heavy gauge which is good in my book since i like a heavier gauged d and g string.

good luck