1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Caught in the middle

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by WookieeForLife, Apr 16, 2010.

1. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Last year our guitarist ditched us. It was in the summer. He told us he was coming up. Then he never showed up. Didn;'t answer his phone, IM, TXTs. Nothing. I got really mad at him. I would not talk to him all year up until last week. I started talking to him and we are cool again. Now his new band, the one who he ditched me and my best friend for needs a bassist to play a show at a well known place. National acts play here. They asked me if I was up for it. I have no idea of what to do. I dont want my band thinking I am ditching them. I explained that if I did this that I am not ditching them. Me and this guitarist are cool now, but like I said, we didnt talk for a year. What should I do?

2. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Does the gig pay well?

3. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Didn't ask yet. It'd be my first gig.

4. Can YOU read between the lines of your own statement ????
    If so you will see you already answered your question yourself.

just my opinion here of course.

5. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I charge $50/hour, 2 hour minimum, payable when I arrive, before any gear gets unloaded. If there's travel involved, that gets paid for, too, plus food & lodging if it's overnight. That will get them a performance, rehearsal, recording session, photo shoot - whatever. If somebody doesn't want to pay me, good chance I don't want to work with them, either.

"Certain people" that I know get "special" rates. For some, it's $100/hour with a 4 hour minimum. I call that a "douchebag tax".

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    First, did you ask him why he ditched you guys w/o telling you anything?

Second, why would you be "friends" with him again?

Third, if it's for one gig and you haven't gigged before, it might be worth it for you.

Fourth, IMO, find other some other friends besides him. The world's bigger than that. When somebody fools you once shame on them, when they fool you twice, shame on you. I wouldn't give him a second chance. Maybe be friendly but not friends.