Caught major attitude for not tipping take away pizza in SF!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 12, 2021.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I totally get it, everyone's been crunched in the pandemic! I lost my shirt working through it! But employers, you not choosing to pay your workers enough to live that they have to become a tip pest for basic services isn't cool.

A large cheese pizza down in San Francisco was $30 a pie! And that was for me going there and picking it up! I was so taken aback at just how ridiculous that was that when the check out guy turned the screen to the next page for the now nearly compulsory tip starting at 15% I was in near disbelief as he was rolling his eyes at me after pushing no tip. Wow.

2. Imagine being expected to tip for a pizza you collect yourself. I don't even tip delivery drivers in the UK because they'll be on at least minimum wage. I know it's different in the US where there is some expectation that tips will make up the shortfall in a 'below minimum' wage but still, asking for tips for collecting a pizza is taking the mick a bit.

I really do think the tipping culture has tried to get out of hand here. We have only recently legislated to stop employers being able to retain tips meant for employees. That will probably cool the tipping culture down a bit, as over the past few years it seems like every other small business has started trying to encourage tipping with the boss probably having decided to take all the tips for himself. I recently changed barbers and started going back to my old barber after a few years off going to more convenient places locally. The last place I went to (I stopped going because their haircutting ability seemed to be in decline) was cheaper than most other places but the barber would usually cough and look at the tip jar when putting your cash in the till, as though it were expected that you'd tip. A handy little way of pocketing some free cash that doesn't appear as taxable earnings.

3. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I can't stand those kind of employees.

Staccato likes this.
  4. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    and those bands that put out a tip jar or pass the hat! they're the worst!

:):D:cool:

Standalone, ELG60, BassToGoGo and 4 others like this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Tipping for takeout is ridiculous. Tipping as a given regardless of quality of service is also ridiculous. You don’t get a reasonable tip from me if you showed up to work today and that’s as much effort as you’re prepared to put in. I’ve waited tables. I hated it. I did it poorly. I was tipped accordingly.

6. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    My agent won't leave me alone.
    I agreed to be the stunt double for the love scenes and a few of the more intense action scenes. But that's all I have time for and I doubled my price.

Bob Lo, yodedude2, MynameisMe and 2 others like this.
  7. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'm gonna guess this was meant for the 'Next Bond' thread?:)

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I can only imagine someone working in a pizza shop in SF is nothing short of impoverished..... and likely has half a dozen roommates. How people with "regular" jobs make ends meet in that town is beyond me.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Joebone, thmsjordan, Ronzo and 14 others like this.
  9. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    On topic, tipping still isn't the 'given' in Ireland that it is (or used to be) in the US.
    I'll tip for good service (and to hopefully ensure future good service), or a friendly attitude, or to show appreciation for someone doing their best under pressure.
    I'll also make sure the tip is in cash, and handed directly to the person it's intended for.
    A business that attempts to guilt me or force me into tipping won't get any satisfaction from me.

smogg, RattleSnack, TinIndian and 3 others like this.
  10. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    I was wondering why it got deleted.
    Why would they move it here?
    Weird.

MynameisMe likes this.
  11. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    The mods are drunk.
    Again.
    Happens every Tuesday.

Lobster11, smogg, BassNugget and 9 others like this.
  12. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Every band I've ever been in that got paid for gigs it was considered bad form to put out a tip jar.

13. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    I can't hang around here then.
    I have a reputation to maintain.

FRoss6788, pcake and Oddly like this.
  14. We went to diner the other night with another couple. We weren’t hungry and just got a very small pizza to share. It was $20 for an almost 8” pizza…wow!

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I don't mind seeing a tip jar at the front of the stage. But I DON'T like when they have somebody walking through the crowd with the tip jar every other song to guilt you into contributing.

16. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    the only times i've tipped for take-out is when the person at the counter did something extra for us. otherwise how is the person at the counter doing much different than in a retail store? i've never seen anyone tip a cashier at target or ralph's.

minimum wage here in los angeles isn't enough to split a 2-bedroom apartment with a roommate - literally. you could only afford a single or more likely a bachelor (which is an apartment with just a room and a bath), and then you couldn't afford a car.

i definitely tip for deliveries.

TinIndian, JRA, fig and 1 other person like this.
  17. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    I love it when ordering online and it asks for a tip amount. How could I possibly know at that point if a tip is warranted?

18. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    The local subway has the same option on their debit machine. I think the concept behind tipping is lost much like auctions but that is a whole new thread.

Frankie Fender and MAJOR METAL like this.
  19. I always tip well in restaurants. Especially to places I visit frequently. There have been a few times when I had not left a tip and that is only if the person is not doing their job to at least minimum expected standards or even worst, has a very sour attitude towards the customer(s). For those who work in the food industry, it is a tough job, and they can always use the additional income.

20. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Did you not know how much the pizza was going to be before you ordered? And would you have tipped if it had been cheaper?

I'm at the point now where I tip on basically everything food service related if service is decent. Especially considering the times we currently live in. It feels like the right thing to do.

Joebone, Need Gigs, muggsy and 16 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021