Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Caught Patitucci tonight at the Jazz Gallery

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Phil Smith, May 5, 2002.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    He was playing with the John Beasley Trio, John Beasely on piano, Billy Hart on drums and Patitucci on acoustic Bass.

Let me first say that Billy Hart is one serious mo-fo on the drums. This guy can play vigorously without beating the crap out of the drums! The way he controls the dynamics of those drums is phenomenal.

As for Patitiucci, I liked the way he sounded tonight, his tone, accompaniment and soloing. Tonight is the first time a saw a double bass with a separate mounting peg for the tailpiece cable, in other words the cable was not wrapped around the endpin but around a peg in front of it. I don't know what kind of bass it is, but it was quite beautiful. He was playing with a walter woods, what looked like an 8" cabinet and using a mic setup that I haven't seen before. The mic was on a boom that was somehow mounted to the body of the bass. The mic element was pointing directly at the body of the bass just below the bridge on the bass bar side. Anyone seen this contraption before?

These guys put a on a very good show tonight.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I think he uses an AMT mic. I saw him last year with Wayne Shorter and Brian Blade, and he sounded great, both arco and pizz.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Could it have been the Golden Trinity mic that Bob (all hail) Golihur sells?

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    the last time I saw pattatucci play he had a AMT and a realist primarily mixed towards the mic .A woods hi power (300watts 8 ohm) and a aguilar 112 his on stage mix was very low ( he was using the amp as a moniter) and sending a signal though the di out into a aguilar tube DI to the house. sounded nice in the room I happened to be sitting very close so I could barly hear him cause the pa was inback of me or mabye because tain was hittin so hard

:eek:

AJ

5. as I remember he uses 3 sound sources - the realist, a neumann mic and that contraption mounted to his bass...he says that gives the sound guy a lot of options

6. That was most probably the Pollman Bass that he always uses. It is a beautiful bass, with an interesting story to go with it. John said that it was originally a factory reject, they screwed up the Varnish on it or something, and he got it for a fantastic price, liked the sound, and has been using it ever since.