1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Caught Ray Brown last night---A great show---

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by telarcfatigue, May 28, 2002.

1. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    I was lucky enough to see Ray Brown's trio last night in LA, man what a show--I've seen Christian Mcbride and Charnett Moffet on this same stage in the last few months, and Ray really demonstrated what the term "Master" really means--He plays like he was born with the bass in his hands---A long time ago...his trio was hot, Kareem Riggins a very slick little drummer, Larry Fuller a good maybe not remarkable pianist, but it was all about Ray last night--He was playing a really good looking bass, looked to be French?, Spirocore Orchs, an old Polytone, and an interesting pickup/soundhole mic setup that I've never seen before--He had a little box mounted on the top of the bass? dunno---his sound from the amp actually was not stellar in my opinion, but I was close enough to hear the actual instrument, which was great, and Ray's playing is amazing--He was all over the bass, first to thumb positions, effortlessly, lightning fast, smooth, ever so melodic, whimsical, so very clever, and his time of course was unreal---He really loves playing his bass still, which was a pleasure to see---He swings harder in his 70's than any other player I've seen,young or old, period----I'm just glad he's still gigging--and such a kind guy---It was a treat to hear him playing a Dizzy tune, and he ended with a blazing tribute to Basie----It truly will be the end of an era when Ray's not around anymore, but until then he'll be playing his ass off----