Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Caught Ray Brown last night---A great show---

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by telarcfatigue, May 28, 2002.

1. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    I was lucky enough to see Ray Brown's trio last night in LA, man what a show--I've seen Christian Mcbride and Charnett Moffet on this same stage in the last few months, and Ray really demonstrated what the term "Master" really means--He plays like he was born with the bass in his hands---A long time ago...his trio was hot, Kareem Riggins a very slick little drummer, Larry Fuller a good maybe not remarkable pianist, but it was all about Ray last night--He was playing a really good looking bass, looked to be French?, Spirocore Orchs, an old Polytone, and an interesting pickup/soundhole mic setup that I've never seen before--He had a little box mounted on the top of the bass? dunno---his sound from the amp actually was not stellar in my opinion, but I was close enough to hear the actual instrument, which was great, and Ray's playing is amazing--He was all over the bass, first to thumb positions, effortlessly, lightning fast, smooth, ever so melodic, whimsical, so very clever, and his time of course was unreal---He really loves playing his bass still, which was a pleasure to see---He swings harder in his 70's than any other player I've seen,young or old, period----I'm just glad he's still gigging--and such a kind guy---It was a treat to hear him playing a Dizzy tune, and he ended with a blazing tribute to Basie----It truly will be the end of an era when Ray's not around anymore, but until then he'll be playing his ass off----