1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Caulking Oozing out of 800RB??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lbwdog, Mar 28, 2009.

1. I just noticed what looks like some kind of white caulking type stuff oozing out from both sides of the heatsink on my 1987 800RB. Anybody ever see this before?

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Probably just heat sink compound. It could have just been put on sloppily...I have had several amps where this had been done...not to worry.

Kim

3. Yep, heatsink goo, normal. Helps the transistors transfer heat more effectively into the heatsink.

4. Yeah, I figured it was the compound but have never seen it before (owned it twenty two years).

5. Wow. Mine's an '89. Not looking forward to that. Sounds messy.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You can just wipe the excess. It's only needed between the heatsink and chassis.

7. Duly noted. I won't freak out if or when it happens, then ;)

8. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    Too much heatsink compound is not a good thing. Ideally the amount that should be used very small, only enough to fill in the microscopic valleys between the heatsink surface and the transistor backing/mica insulator. Too much of it actually reduces the contact surface, and thereby lowering cooling capacity. Cheap heatsink compound can also dry out and flake over time. If so, you may want to consider reapplying it with something like the AAVID Ultrastick compound if you ever have to get the amp serviced.

9. Make sure that it actually is heat sink compound. A leaking capacitor very often oozes white guck. If it is a capacitor it should be replaced before it causes trouble.

Paul

10. Yeah, I guess I should open it up for inspection, but it's coming out on both ends of the heatsink......
    BTW, This is the amp that went through hurricane Katrina, but was washed, dried, and repaired by G-K (volume pot and fuse holder). Been working fine since, although I've always suspected there could be problems down the road.

11. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    call g-k directly
    they are in stockton california,
    talk to them before you open up the cabinet,
    get some guidence from guys that build them, last time i called a few months ago, bob gallien answered the phone and my all my questions