Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CAUTION: Before installing EMG's....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bigwan, May 27, 2002.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi Evrybady...

Anyone who's thinking of/about to/already installed a set of EMG's or an EMG active circuit, read on so as to avoid the trouble I've had...

A couple of months back I installed a set of EMG J pickups and BTC circuit (running 18volts) in my backup 5 string. I assumed that all was well with the actual components before doing so....WRONG!!!

When I plugged the bass in for the first time I could hear absolutely no improvement over the crappy passive pickups and circuitry I had removed. Having very little spare time I set the bass on a stand for a few weeks before coming back to play with it (at this point I was convinced it was just me!).

But no - on second listen I was sure there was something wrong... For a start, using the pickups as a thumb rest produced some very strange crackling noises. Secondly, the bass + treble boost and cut pots made very little impact to the overall sound. Completely ticked off by this point, I put the bass back on it's stand for another week and reverted to my Wal.... who wouldn't!

Well I'm pleased to say all has been sorted! I removed the BTC circuit last night (it was pretty obvious that this was the best place to start - I was still getting sound of a sort so the pickups were obviously doing something!) and on quick inspection noticed that 2 pins (from the EQ selector switches) hadn't been soldered to the circuit board. 10 seconds with my trusty old soldering iron and all was well with the world - now I know why people love these pickups! My old 5 string buddy has been transformed!

So don't fall into the same trap I did... before installing any active circuit look out for anything strange or startling....... Now may be a bad time to tell you I used to be a diagnostic tech. Doh!.......

"Be careful out there"

Ian C.