1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CAUTION: Before installing EMG's....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bigwan, May 27, 2002.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi Evrybady...

Anyone who's thinking of/about to/already installed a set of EMG's or an EMG active circuit, read on so as to avoid the trouble I've had...

A couple of months back I installed a set of EMG J pickups and BTC circuit (running 18volts) in my backup 5 string. I assumed that all was well with the actual components before doing so....WRONG!!!

When I plugged the bass in for the first time I could hear absolutely no improvement over the crappy passive pickups and circuitry I had removed. Having very little spare time I set the bass on a stand for a few weeks before coming back to play with it (at this point I was convinced it was just me!).

But no - on second listen I was sure there was something wrong... For a start, using the pickups as a thumb rest produced some very strange crackling noises. Secondly, the bass + treble boost and cut pots made very little impact to the overall sound. Completely ticked off by this point, I put the bass back on it's stand for another week and reverted to my Wal.... who wouldn't!

Well I'm pleased to say all has been sorted! I removed the BTC circuit last night (it was pretty obvious that this was the best place to start - I was still getting sound of a sort so the pickups were obviously doing something!) and on quick inspection noticed that 2 pins (from the EQ selector switches) hadn't been soldered to the circuit board. 10 seconds with my trusty old soldering iron and all was well with the world - now I know why people love these pickups! My old 5 string buddy has been transformed!

So don't fall into the same trap I did... before installing any active circuit look out for anything strange or startling....... Now may be a bad time to tell you I used to be a diagnostic tech. Doh!.......

"Be careful out there"

Ian C.