Caution - Carvin rant: Used my R1000 at a jam last night

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by npbassman, Jul 31, 2002.

1. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    I usually don't write rants but I'm disgusted. I used my backup head (a carvin R1000) at a jam last night it performed rather poorly. The jam included everything from Allman Bros to Incubus, to 20 minute space jams and I was using my ampeg 4x10 and my modulus Q5 fitted with an 18V emg system. My main live rig is an Ashdown ABM 500 with an IOD running through the loop for tube warmth but I figured I'd give the carvin a spin last night. Well, after giving this head dozens of chances to shine and sending it back to carvin for repairs twice, it's either going on ebay or to the music store for a trade. The tone was total mud set flat and only marginally better after EQing it to death. And, it doesn't have any useable power until you depress the bass and mid scoop boost buttons. You also have to bridge it at "1000" watts in order to get any kind of overhead. Grrrrrr. Sorry for ranting folks but I needed to get that out!

My band
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I have a Carvin R600 and I don't have a problem with the tone but there is not much gain to the power stage. Clipping hasn't been a problem but they seriously need to put a "boost" knob before the volume knob so I don't have to use the EQ to boost the signal. But overall it does what I want it to do, and I picked it up for $200 anyway. :p But I agree at the price they want for them new they're not exactly the best deals as they'd want you to believe.
  3. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I used to have a Carvin R600, but it had all kinds of problems (it was actually my 2nd head...the first died 1 week after receiving it from carvin). I had to ship my amp back and forth to Carvin for repairs multiple tims (all done under warranty, but I still had to pay shipping and be without the amp for a few weeks at a time). In general, I became very disgusted with Carvin as I think their quality control is non-existant. I then in turn sold ALL of my newer Carvin gear (R600, 2x10, 1x15, and LB70 bass). I still have a nice Carvin PA setup, but it is a lot older (about 7 years or more), but I will never own anything else by Carvin. I know that some people have had good experiences with them, but after dealing with them many times and the problems I had with my amp (that were evetually all fixed) I decided I didn't need the headache anymore. See my profile for my current setup...which I am very happy with

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    it stinks that you had such a bad experience.

I use a Carvin R600 head and it works great for me. I set the EQ pretty flat on the head, but I do have a Bart NTMB preamp with 3 band eq on my bass and a Bass Driver DI that I put between the bass and amp.

A couple questions. Were you plugging into the passive or active input? And what was the pregain set on?
  5. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    I was plugging into the active input because I have the EMG BQC system wired to 18V. The gain was around 1 o' clock and I was able to achieve decent volume and booty with the master at 11:00. I also have a sansamp DI that I usually put in between the amp and bass for somw growl but I wanted to see what the head could do on it's own that night. It may be a matter of personal taste and preference but this head is now for sale.
  6. Just a thought here, try dropping the gain. I've noticed with my R600 that the label on the knob is 0 at 12oclock position but that really isn't a cut or boost like the eq is. I keep my gain knob set below what the master knob indicates, it really makes a difference on clipping
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Try plugging into the passive input, even if you are going through an 18v preamp.
  8. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I owned the R600 which went back to Carvin Two or three times for repair till I finally had to get rid of it cause it quit. The only way it had any value was through the Carvin "up grade" program. I got an R1000 for about about half price by trading in my R600. This R1000 had to go back within 45 days:eek: It is working now but I sure wish I could get something else before I have to ship it back again. They do usually cover their warranty most generously, but what a pain in the arse( a minimun of three weeks in waiting). And shipping is not cheap. The guitars on the other hand do have nice craftsmanship and a Great neck. But I would only buy a Carvin Bass Guitar used for about half the cost of new. They are overpriced as a new instrument, but a good deal used if they are in good shape..........IMHO:D