Caution when changing string gauges?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PollyBass, Sep 7, 2001.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yah. i was thinking of uping my strig gauge. i play 55's now, and i am plaining on putting 55's on another bass. what could go wrong by changeing string gauges? would this mess up my inotion? or my neck?
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    o ya, and does aynone know where i can get a 60 gauge?
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    You may have to lower your action a bit until you become accustomed to the heavier gauge and it could tweak your neck bow a bit. When I change gauges my biggest struggle is learning to play with the heavier strings. I tend to be sloppy for awhile until I adapt to the new string spacing different gauges create. The slightest alteration in my set up sometimes throws me off for weeks. I'm probably just a slow learner. :)
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Besides Paleales good input, you might find them bouncing off of your pickups, now that the perimeter of the strings is closer to them.

Hopefully, they'll fit fine in the nut slots and won't buzz.

Regarding intonation, that's should be checked regularly anyway.

As Paleale says, the biggest adjustment may be the one you have to make with your technique.
  5. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I recently changed from medium gauge to "super" light gauge, and I didn't really have any problems at all. If you're getting heavier strings it might be different, due to the added tension, but if my experience is anything to go by it shouldn't cause too many problems.