Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cave In, Antenna

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Out today, very good. Just a heads up to the Cave In fans who may not have noticed. Comes with a DVD I haven't seen it yet though.

2. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
  3. Not got it yet, but they played a bunch of tracks from it when I saw them last; more song based than Jupiter? Certainly very catchy.

Less atmosphere too, now you mention it, but very good, straight rock.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly. It's good stuff, not cookie cutter, some subtle things going on in there. Lots of hooks.

5. Yeah, that should be a good gig. Who's supporting?

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I really wanted to like Snapcase, but I just couldn't get into it. Nothing really grabbed me.

7. I've never heard of Hope's Fall (or Hum either :oops: ) but I'll check them out as soon as I can.

Anyways, I just got Antenna, I'm sitting listening to it right now. The first impression is that the songs are better than Jupiter. More dense at times maybe, but then there's plain rawk songs like Inspire.

It's kinda scary how much I recognize of it; they must have played 8 or so tracks from it when I saw them.

And is Rubber And Glue not just a version of Bigger Riff? Not that that's bad, but it's interesting how it has evolved.

8. I saw Cave In when they supported Hundred Reasons last year. I knew nothing about them, but they rocked. Thinking I should get their album

9. Just found out Cave In are playing Scotland again, in Edinburgh this time.... I guess I might just go along.:p :D :rolleyes:

10. I'm digging it. it's not as proggy as Jupiter, but that's at the expense of wandering, aimless bits, IMO.

It's a really good collection of rock songs, with some subtle stuff in the background.

It's not Jupiter II, basically. I think that's what's got a few people. They've moved on.

What do you think?

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree with your post, and I like the album quite a bit.

12. Question; how did they make some of the more atmospheric parts, like the very start of Youth Overrided?

It sounds like the guitars and bass..... but I don't think I've heard guitars sound like that before

:meh: :confused:

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Sounds like a review written by someone whose idea of subtle is a brick to the face.

Parrott---I don't know, I'll have to listen to it specifically for that reason and try to figure it out.