1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

caveat emptor - data vision new york

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Apr 26, 2006.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    don't ever deal with these guys folks, they're thieves. i ordered an ati video card from them that was found to have a manufacturer's defect. i contacted ati about the issue, and they instructed me to get a refund for the card - it was an issue with the card and the motherboard i intended to use it with.

when i contacted datavision, they told me they don't accept returns on video cards, contrary to their listed policies on their webpage. bull####. i searched their policies before ordering, and there was no such policy listed on their website - i would've never ordered from them if there had been. i've already filed with the ny bbb, but i don't have high expectations for that.

so now i'm stuck with a $250 working video card that just does not work with my computer, unless i want to file in small claims court.

so beware folks, these guys suck.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm always a little leery of those Brooklyn based and other NYC based electronics and computer equipment stores. I've heard too many stories like this.

Be sure and post on www.resellerratings.com or www.epinions.com so that others can hear about your problems.

bc

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i intend on it.

it's a shame, too, i've had such great experiences with online purchases, and these guys had great prices. if they weren't such tools they'd have probably gotten quite a few purchases from me. as it is now, i'm going to do my very best to make sure all my computer-parts buying friends know what brown-holes these guys are.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    John, did you re-contact the manufacturer? They might help you out in this case - and quite possibly pull the rights to sell from the company.

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey man, yeah, i talked to them. have a ticket up with em in fact, but the best they've been able to offer has been "contact the bbb".

that's another thing - ati blows chucks. this card is supposed to be one of their top dog agp cards, and it doesn't even work with dell mobos. their engineers have been "working on the problem" for almost 2 months. sad. standards are developed for a reason - these guys need to follow the specs closer.

just glad the computer i'm building isn't going to have to deal with any of this crap. nvidia quad sli ftw heh. :hyper:

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Many years from now when JT replaces Dell as the top manufacturer worldwide of desktop PC's, you'll look at this moment as a bump in the road. :D

-Mike

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    John, did you order by credit card? If so, contact your card issuer.

One reason I use AmEx *exclusively* for online purchases is because, on the rare occasions I've had one go sour, all it takes is a good written statement of the events, and they reverse the charge.

Good luck.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hmm. interesting idea. yeah, i think i will contact them. not amex, unfortunately, but still, may get some love that way.

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    +11 While I have not had a problem YET, Amex Customer Service is the reason I use that card for online purchases. They answer the phone promptly and work hard for their customer. The first step they take is to reverse the charge to get the vendor's undivided attention. I hope your CC company can and will do the same thing. Good Luck!

10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I'd print the webpage return policies as soon as possible, before they change it. Also, if the manufacturer told you to get a refund from the vendor due to an incompatibility, try to get that in writing.

This will all come in very handy when your CC issuer asks you for "documentation".

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, did that one, not to mention the fact that most webpages are archived regardless. i'll be able to find what they advertised at any particular date, regardless of how they change it.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    They also fell behind nVidia with this generation of graphics engines.

bc

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've always liked nvidia a little better.

Good luck John. Calling your card is the best bet it seems.

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Sell it on eBay, buy NVIDIA. ATI cards usually have driver problems, they make good cards but their driver department is run by monkeys. Not cool. :(

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i've been a pretty die-hard nvidia fan since i got my leadtek 4600 ti back in the day. just wanted to give ati a shot, and they blew it.

like i said earlier my main computer is going to be quad sli. hopefully evga puts out some nice 7950's, i like their products. or xfx.

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol. more datavision bullcrap. check out the reply on pricegrabber to my review - it's pretty funny, they try to backpedal bigtime.

again, even now, if they take back this nice but not-working video card, i'd probably buy a replacement from them.

lol. just kidding.

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  18. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Wow, looking at all the reviews on pricegrabber I'd never have done business with them in the first place. How many shekels were they supposedly going to save you vs. a business that actually offers customer service & support?

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    thx for the generalizations... :rollno: and just to be clear, any stores anywhere are usually bad, not just NYC.

btw, www.bhphotovideo.com rocks like no other. and J&R isnt too bad either, tho their prices have been spiking a touch.

20. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I have done a fair amount of business with J and R Electronics
    in NYC, and will note that I have found them to be an excellent
    vendor to deal with. I got a TEAC
    CD/Vinyl recorder for Xmas. I wasn't happy with it because it
    had no 'Line Out'. They took it back immediately no questions asked,
    and no fuss.

Hosebags are not unique to the NY area more than any other,
    and conversely, neither are companies with excellent sales
    service and good return policies that strive for consumer
    satisfaction.

One of the best companies I have ever dealt with is over
    in NJ, www.homeclick.com Absloutely outstanding service,
    and get their orders out very quickly. It can be done, but
    only if the company management is committed to quality
    and excellence.

Good luck getting your problem resoved jt. I would definitely
    give them a little Credit Card love.

I concur on American Express, they take very good care of
    their customers, which is why some retailers don't like them.

Edit: beat me too it. ;)